MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are some reports that the Xenon lights will be delayed for some time on US-market MINI Coopers.

If this is true and Xenon lighting is not going to be available for some time how will that affect the Sport Pack for the Cooper S?

Do you think the package will be discounted from $1,250 to reflect the lack of the lights? I sure don't think BMW would consider selling the cars with standard lights and then retro-fitting them with Xenon lighting once it becomes available, do you?

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
BruceK said:
I sure don't think BMW would consider selling the cars with standard lights and then retro-fitting them with Xenon lighting once it becomes available, do you?

no I don't

:)

·
Registered
448 Posts
The news I had at the weekend was that there is no xenon lamp for the US market *right now* but they hope to have it sorted *real soon*

Elsewhere on this site is the news that the dealers' pre-specced cars are already on their way.

From which I deduce that the early cars are not going to have the xenon lights. Which puts you in the same boat as the rest of us - you can't have a MINI with xenon lights at the moment; the option will become available in a few months' time. Retrofitting seems very unlikely (and expensive) given the complicated nature of xenon lamps, and the complicated nature of MINI electrics.

BMW obviously think (rightly, IMHO) that an issue with one optional component shouldn't hold up the release. Besides, the Germans reckon they now have a solution that is US-legal, although they've yet to persuade anyone that it really is!

Interesting that your dealers are getting the Cooper S demmonstrators *months* ahead of ours in the UK :( :( :(

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Viscount Charles said:
....Interesting that your dealers are getting the Cooper S demmonstrators *months* ahead of ours in the UK :( :( :(
Well, if it makes you feel any better, UK dealers got standard Cooper demonstrators 9 months before the US will get them! :p (Not to mention the ability to buy a MINI Cooper just a bit earlier in the UK too!)

·
Registered
451 Posts
VC: look on the bright side

We're just returning the favor you Brits did for us in being the beta test site for the Cooper. Come August you will be thanking us for sorting out the "S" faults.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I for one would be more than willing (and perhaps thankful) to do without the Xenon lights. I do want the other options in the Sport package though. Although Xenon is cutting edge technology, I am not feeling very comfortable that it has been properly sorted yet. A chipped or broken lens sounds like a VERY expensive prospect, one that I would rather not have to claim on my insurance. Halogen has always been plenty bright for me and a replacement bulb is reasonably priced. I seriously doubt that the Xenon bulbs will be considered warranty items and a $300.00 bill is a bit much to pay for exotic light.

Tom

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still, if Xenon lights are excluded from the Sport Package for the Cooper S, (reflecting their stand alone cost as an option of $500), I'd like to see a nice price reduction of at least $400 bringing the Sport Package cost down to $850.

Reasonable?

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
BruceK said:
Still, if Xenon lights are excluded from the Sport Package for the Cooper S, (reflecting their stand alone cost as an option of $500), I'd like to see a nice price reduction of at least $400 bringing the Sport Package cost down to $850.

Reasonable?
Let's do the math:

500 / 1820 = X / 1250

X = (1250 * 500) / 1820

X = 343.40

How about $900?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Not to worry guys,with the S not even intro'ed yet I think Xenons for all markets will be set and availalble w/o delay!;)

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Xenon's are an $1100AU extra in Australia. Personaly I will do without them after a lot of soul searching. At the S price point in Australia, they are an over the top extra. I'd still like the washers though, as I prefer the look they give the headlamps. Don't know whether they are available with standard headlamps.

Sorry to go off on a tangent......

:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts