MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please post you faults if you have a november build mini only as I want evedence to show my dealer that lots of november build mini have problems

:p november build 2001 :p
silver and black mini cooper
chili pack
sun roof
air con
iso child fixings

violent pull to the left
loud power steering pump
fogging up rear lights
petrol not reading full
seats dont always return to correct place when letting people in and out of the car
body trim not fitted very well

·
Registered
906 Posts
Nov 1st reg

Left pull:KDS confirmed and adjusted as far as possible, replacement front struts, bottom spring pads, which led to replacement top suspension mounts.
Now only drifts left as opposed to pulls left.
Fuel gauge: under reads. Still not fixed despite latest sender fitted.
Reserve light: comes on at 15 litres left, reported as unfixable.
Drivers seat base memory position: cable with brass ferrule jumped out of position and now put back. Seat base not required as initially thought.

Still awaiting left pull fix.

I also had a mysterious crack appear in the windscreen, fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Drifts to the left (Dealer agrees on this but spookily enough also refused to accept that this is a big problem for Mini).

Driver`s seat squeaks as though somebody is torturing mice beneath the seat (Fixed at garage..............for about a week, now squeaking more than ever).

Fuel gauge OK (always worked fine).

No misting of rear lights (and it spends it`s life outside).

To be honest the left pull is the only one that gets my goat. When the service manager told me that "It`s not a widespread Mini problem" I almost wet myself laughing. The Cooper they had as a demonstrator did it. I told him if that was the case then my car was defective and I wanted it sorted, his lame reply was that BMW was working on a rectification program and that the car would probably be subject to a "modification call" in March. We`ll see.

·
Registered
2 Posts
same faults

Hello,
spooky , same faults , & a few more,

sunroof not closing , not opening
rattles squeaks rear pillar , + dash
roof lining @ rear hangin off
dead battery when left more than24 hours, sorted now re cd unit
let me know how ya get on , Chandlers , Brighton, have done there best but back in next week , i will keep ya posted.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Same faults....mostly minor.

Fuel sensor - replaced and now getting better. (slowly)
Missing CD cable - fitted by dealer.
Squeaking/clicking seat - fixed myself by fitting seat back correctly.
Some mist in rear clusters - fixed by tightening.
Clicking dash - unfixed, will do it myself.
Rattling rear hatch - fixed by adjusting catch.
Cracked windscreen - replaced by dealer.

Erm think that's it, Chandlers Brighton are nice to me too, but I had the car in several times for the fuel sensor and they hadn't ordered the parts as they told me they would so nothing ws done.
Fingers crossed the next visit will be for the 10k oil service.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here's a new one:
Rubber trim hanging off rear window at the left end. Apparently the replacement part is not yet available..........that was on Jan 30th.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Not much to report

Built 2nd week Nov 2001

Only a squeeky seat and rattly rear seat latch - both fixed.

Nothing else to report - phew!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the reply's keep them comming

chandlers rustington/angmering

moonser , geezerlad mabey our cars are from the same batch

but i have to say chandlers seem very nice

my car has been on the KDS and they agree with all the faults and they say march is the date bmw have given them for the pull left fix

hope all get fixed soon

please keep in touch with your progress with chandlers

·
Registered
12 Posts
I seem to have got different faults my November build Cooper:

- Sometimes wouldn't start in under 5 seconds (sometimes needed 2 attempts).
- Loss of power when pulling away from rest
- Couldn't unlock the drivers door from inside the car

And some of the usual too:

- Squeaky seats
- Creaking dash
- Couldn't fill fuel tank
- Fuel gauge erratic

Glad to say it's all fixed to my complete satisfaction - not all on the first attempt, but they got there in the end. I also got MINIs as courtesy cars - glad I didn't end up with a BMW or some other average car.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well, since you ask......

Handbrake ratchet not holding - fixed by replacing the assembly.:)

Occasional trouble selecting reverse gear - fixed by replacing the gearbox.:)

Squeaky front seats (just started last week....:mad: ) - not confronted my Dealer yet but i'll do it today!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an October build Mini, and can report nearly all the same problems. Rattling from passenger side rear of car, squeaky seats, unlocks itself (has done this 3 times, generally when it is cold). Also had a new MD player fitted due to recall, and car was never prepped for an autochager as requested. Still had no offer from dealer or BMW to compensate me for this.

Has been into the dealer twice for the rattling and once for the seats. Got it back on Tuesday and already things are worse than before. Dealer doesn't care (different one to where I bought the car) and BMW customer services don't seem to either. Am getting really annoyed with it all now!

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Problems / Solutions

I share many of the same problems...

Squeaking seats - had many refeits and now asking for new seat. No response in 1 month...

rattle in dash - I'd like to know how to fix this or if anybody else has problems here too.

General rattle in boot area, although I have to slam the boot shut to close it so not sure it is the catch ?

·
Registered
97 Posts
BI GAL said:
Well, since you ask......

Handbrake ratchet not holding - fixed by replacing the assembly.:)

Occasional trouble selecting reverse gear - fixed by replacing the gearbox.:)

Squeaky front seats (just started last week....:mad: ) - not confronted my Dealer yet but i'll do it today!

Let's add a cracked windscreen to the list!
Took the car to the dealer to get the seats looked at, and lo-and-behold there it was.....a ******* huge crack in the windscreen, hidden under the tax-disc holder! The dealer tried to tell me that it was stone chip damage but there is no sign of any impact. He's refusing to fix it under warranty so he can expect a big argument tomorrow when i take it back for the seats de-squeaking and the roof trim replacing (oh, did i forget to mention that...sorry!)

Even their demonstrator has a crack in the windscreen!!

I've been very calm about the whole faults and fixes thing until now - as long they own up and fix the problems then fair enough. I'm not going to put up with this quietly though......:mad:

Has anybody else with this problem had any trouble getting the dealer to sort it under warranty. Apial, Mooser - i know you guys have been though this....any thoughts

:confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
After spending hours carefully cleaning my Nov built cooper at the weekend I noticed the following problems:

• front windscreen seal is approx. 0.5cm away from the glass in the middle
  • the finish on the plastic part of the passenger wing mirror has started 'peeling'
  • There is a bolt which has pierced through the leather under the hand brake
This is in addition to my other faults:

• Squeeky front seats - need backs replacing, been on order since end Jan
  • Rear window seal hanging off at one end - on order
  • Low coolant - garage topped up
  • Fuel gauge never shows full
  • Very slight 'ripple' by driver door handle
  • Rear wiper doesn't reach the top
Think I got a right donkey!:(

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got a new one

after giving the car its first 100 % clean

I found deep scrach marks on the both side windows about
2 inches from the door lock pin

not very happy told dealer that he will replace glass
and check window system

he say yes
no debate as he knows how close i am to rejecting the car and as its not financed by bmw its very easy for me to reject it

and he knows it !!!

also roof trim loose at back of car

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Silver surfer - how easy was it easy to reject? I don't have MINI finance either. I'm going to give them a chance to fix the faults, but if it isn't satisfactory I will be very tempted to reject.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
don't know as yet but my dealer seems nice and is doing his best but they dont seem to be getting much help from bmw

he knows im on the ball about all the faults and how close i am to rejecting the car and have documented all faults with photos and keeped a record of the things done to the car if its not all fixed by the end of march i have told him i am rejecting the car and he agreed with me if they can't fix all the faults by then he would back me on rejecting the car as its the garages reputation that's being damaged by the faulty mini's and repuation is everything when selling cars it not that they dont want to fix the faults with the mini some of them they can't

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Smudge on window

No - i know this sounds silly but...

Every time i put my window all the way down and all the way up again, half the window gets this smear mark. It doesn;t happen to all the window, and the passenger side is fine.

I suppoe I'll see what's wrong when I take the door apart to fit my new Inifinty speaker. - I've blown the factory boost ones.

BMW - focus on customer satisfaction, this MINI is going to give you bad press one day !!!!

·
Registered
906 Posts
cracked windscreen

BI GAL,
My cracked windscreen just appeared behind the wiper blade on the drivers side when the car was less then 2 weeks old. It started in the black zone and then went up an inch, then it spread horizontally 12 inches towards the wing. The crack was in an identical spot to the dealers demo car that also mysteriously cracked with no impact damage.

The local area BMW claims manager told my dealer to replace both under warranty. The same happened to Dogger. Cracked windscreens can be caused by stress being left in the glass due to poor cooling during manufacture. I suspect that this is not an uncommon problem.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a Nov '01 build MINI One.

I've done just over 4000 miles since getting the car in Mid-December.

There's nothing much to report:
1) Condensation in RHS rear light cluster
2) A bit of a drift to the left (but I didn't really notice anything until reading this forum :) ).

One niggle:
The fuel warning light is paranoid - I reckon it comes on when there is at least 12 litres fuel left (compared to 8 l as documented in the manual). Peugeots that I have owned in the past had similarly premature warning lights, so this is not unique to MINI.

Mark.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts