MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me for all the questions but I really need to know!

First of all, I have an Audi A3 on a 56 plate (September 2006) with 27,000 miles on the clock. Bought it as an ex demo with 1000 miles on it. It truly hasn't got a mark on it.
As the Mini would be my very first brand new car:

When is the best time to pop in at a mini dealers to get the best price on new cars, and is a tiny discount likely?

My Audi is quite a high spec car (cruise, colour sat nav, auto dimm mirror etc etc) but because I am not using half of these (bar the cruise) I am going to go for the cheapest spec Dooper. (All white, cloth interior, std wheels + pepper pack). Is this a wise move come resale time?

The configurator has given me a price of £15,440. Does this include literally every penny?

How do I know the mini dealer is giving me the best price for my Audi?

When you have committed to buy the mini, presumably the price they gave me for my Audi is based on the miles on the day we agreed on price. But what happens in the 6-8 weeks the mini gets built, as I’ll pile the miles on the Audi?

Think that’s it for now, I’m sure I’ll have more questions in time- I’m just wanting to do the right thing as buying cars are quite stressful!

Thanks all!!:)

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
When is the best time to pop in at a mini dealers to get the best price on new cars, and is a tiny discount likely?
I guess near the end of a month, if they havent reached their sales target then they may well be a bit more aimiable with a discount, however your probably unlikely to get very much., though it will depend from dealer to dealer. Might be worth getting a couple of prices and just seeing.

My Audi is quite a high spec car (cruise, colour sat nav, auto dimm mirror etc etc) but because I am not using half of these (bar the cruise) I am going to go for the cheapest spec Dooper. (All white, cloth interior, std wheels + pepper pack). Is this a wise move come resale time?
Possibly not. I would have said the CHILI pack would make the car more saleable. Have the part leather interior and upgraded alloys would make the car more appealing to the next buyer. However, you are not buying the car for the next person, but for yourself, so only you know what you want ;) :)

The configurator has given me a price of £15,440. Does this include literally every penny?
I think so :puzzled: Apart from the £150 TLC which is more than likely to be thrown in the deal anyway, most dealers seem to these days.

They probably wont. At the end of the day all they will sell on their forecourt is BMW/MINI, so they arent really interested in another brand. If you were to go to Audi and buy another Audi, obviously they will give you a keen trade in price as they will be able to sell it on and mark it up. A MINI dealer will probably send the car off to auction or something like that (not 100% sure what they do thesedays). You might be better off selling privately.

When you have committed to buy the mini, presumably the price they gave me for my Audi is based on the miles on the day we agreed on price. But what happens in the 6-8 weeks the mini gets built, as I’ll pile the miles on the Audi?
They will either give you a price based on your mileage when the MINI arrives, or they will give you a price and a set mileage to not exceed.

Hope that helps in someway and that ive answered the questions right :p :D Good luck! :D

·
Registered
543 Posts
You might like to get several dealers in your area to quote a "cost to change" as that will force them to bid for the Audi and to give you the best on the-road price for the MINI - which is far more important than any discount.

I got the best quote for mine from a dealer that's part of a group that had agencies for my trade-in as well as for MINI as they could re-sell that themselves and not have to put it into a trade auction. But they were such pillocks in other ways that I actually ordered from the second best, who guaranteed their valuation for three months irrespective of additional mileage.

Good luck! :biggrin:

·
Havin' fun...
4,931 Posts
There's no reason why you can't state the price you want for trade-in purposes - as long as it's sensible, and as stated previously, make sure the trade in price is held for as long as delivery take. I negotiated that and a further month for unforseen delivery problems.

I agree with the previous posts and consider the following to be the best investment:

Chilli pack - which includes sports seats and manual A/C among other stuff
Decent alloys (16" alloys are a bit small imo)
For a dark colour, white indicators are well worth £50
A black or white roof and mirrors are well worth £0

That wil give you a very desirable car indeed.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
if you are only speccing standard, save your money and go narly new, ex demo or pre reg.

My old man was dead set on buying a brand new Land rover freelander XS yesterday, went along done all the test drives etc and it was £26k on the nose. Until the sales manager pointed out he had a 2 month old HSE there with a few other bits added on which made it 34k and he would be willing to sell it for 26500, the deal was done there and there, Brand new is great if you want to specify exactly hat you want, but even on a mini the sensible option is to buy nearly new.

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The trouble is I've hardly seen any nearly new Doopers! They seem to be very very popular!

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hehe won't bother with that one ta!

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really can't wait actually, hope all goes well. Hate salespeople!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
"Decent alloys (16" alloys are a bit small imo)"

That said to replace 17" tyres as some will tell you are very costly..........was it not over £300

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am really struggling to get any deals here. The part x value offered for my A3 is shocking.
I have just read the honest john guide on how to buy a new car but just wanted to be 100% on how cheap I can really get this car!
My 56 plate A3 was born september 06. It now has 27153 miles to be exact on the clock.
I am interested in a Mini cooper D for september on the 58 plate. List price is £14,420 for the mini. I will be addding the pepper pack and MFSW as extras. Total cost on the mini website is £15,690.
Dealer 1 yesterday offered a lowish £12k for my A3 but after a bit more convincing offered £12600.
They keep saying the A3 is loosing £400/month. Is this sales talk or is this true- I mean this means this time next year it'll be worth peanuts- like £6-7k?? No Audi dealer is bidding on it apparently...
I thought Audi's did far better than that?

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
The price seems about right for your A3, there won't be many dealers bidding on it I'd imagine, under 2 years old with 27k on it - no many main dealers would want that on their forecourt.

Push for free TLC servicing - but that's about all you'll get. Doopers are flying out the showrooms, and I hate to say it, but if you don't take the build slot, someone else will.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Shop around and you should be able to get a discount - I got over £700 discount on my Cooper D plus a higher than expected part exchange price by a couple of hundred. So all in all I reckon I got about £1000 off my Dooper. Some garages will not give anything but in the end I had two dealers bidding to beat each other.

·
Registered
728 Posts
You might like to get several dealers in your area to quote a "cost to change" as that will force them to bid for the Audi and to give you the best on the-road price for the MINI - which is far more important than any discount.

I got the best quote for mine from a dealer that's part of a group that had agencies for my trade-in as well as for MINI as they could re-sell that themselves and not have to put it into a trade auction. But they were such pillocks in other ways that I actually ordered from the second best, who guaranteed their valuation for three months irrespective of additional mileage.

Good luck! :biggrin:
Exactly the advice I would give, no good getting a great trade if if you get no discount, equally no good a couple of hundred discount if you lose on trade in.

Cost to change is the key thing here!!

3-4 quotes from local dealers on a cost to change basis is the way forward!!

Deano

Reactions: dlpruk

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well finally placed my order yesterday! I sound so sad but cannot bear the thought of getting rid of my A3- I mean how could I get so attached to metal!!
It is a basic spec but should do me nicely! It's a pepper white cooper D with pepper pack + multi function sterring wheel. They couldn't give me a build date, but it's a september car as I requested this.
That should do me nicely to be honest! Looking forward to spending a lot of time on here peeps!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have they offered you a P/X Sony? If they have, what you need to do now is to advertise your Audi privately in Autotrader or the like. Price it between £1,000 and £1,500 more than the P/X. If you sell then anything above the P/X price is a bonus. If you don't sell then you have just have the cost of the advert to pay.
This is what I did with my Audi TT and I made £1,250 extra, thank you very much!!

·
Back In A Clubman 23yr On
194 Posts
Have they offered you a P/X Sony? If they have, what you need to do now is to advertise your Audi privately in Autotrader or the like. Price it between £1,000 and £1,500 more than the P/X. If you sell then anything above the P/X price is a bonus. If you don't sell then you have just have the cost of the advert to pay.
This is what I did with my Audi TT and I made £1,250 extra, thank you very much!!
I would agree with this advice...have just done the same with my X3.
However, in the current climate, I might be tempted to come down a little below 1K over the book trade in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts