MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little confused.

Recently changed my Cooper D (currently on 7 day free mini insurance). I have just phoned my insurance company (UK Insurance Ltd), to change my details, think I must have spoken to a muppet.
She was going on about a Thatchem Cat 1 Immobiliser & Alarm, and how I needed to provide them with documentation that one was fitted. I thought this was standard spec on the R56 MINI and therefore the insurance companies should be aware of this?? :confused::confused:
I now have to provide them with a letter from the dealer to prove that one is fitted (idiots!!!) :mad:

Has anyone else had any probs similar to this with their insurance company? As I have only just renewed my policy, I can't be bothered to change insurance companies just yet, but think I will when it comes up for renewal. :angry:

·
Back In A Clubman 23yr On
194 Posts
I had no such specific problems...but the "mods" (in other words...factory available options) did cause considerable problems.

The only slant that I would put on your dilemma is this.....................If they can't sort this seemingly minor issue out without resulting to letters from dealers etc, do you really feel secure in the knowledge that they will be able to meet ALL of your needs if the worst should happen and you make a claim for a total loss (i.e. all accessories, options etc) :confused::confused:

For me, it would be a small price to pay for the peace of mind to change to a different insurance company, even shortly into a policy..........but I would make them cancel the policy because they do not recognise the factory fit alarm etc so that I did not have to pay a cancellation fee ;)

Greenlight seem to come out with good rep on here.

·
settling in nicely
246 Posts
Agreed, i would be looking elsewhere for insurance! I went through a local broker and they had no bother with options, alarms etc - the salesperson was a bit unsure of what to do about the options but once she'd spoken to the underwriter (prestige) it was all ok - the underwriting company's view was that almost all minis are customised to some degree so just added what the owner has as a note on the file beyond base/pepper/chili spec.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts