MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all i'd like to say hi! My names Dan and i'm looking to buy a cooper S, i have a particular car in mind, i drove it today and it was great, it's an 03 and the interior is spotless, the exterior has a few marks but nothing serious, i'm on the verge of buying but i had a few concerns...

When i test drove the car and accelerated it felt like was a small amount of stutter(more like a struggle) as accelerating, also when i opened the boot loads of water came out through a small drain in the bottom of the boot which i didn't expect, normal?

this is the car (edit) aparently i cant post links / etc yet :( Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mini Motor vehicle
ah, attachment worked!

So far i really like what i see and it's cheap but this is mostly due to the high mileage (81k!!).

Any thoughts would be apprectiated.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
could be the clutch about to go, they wont usually replace it under warantee either as it is a "wear and tear" item, nice colour though

·
Damned
4,534 Posts
If the aircon {if it has it}, was on, that may account for the stutter / struggle on acceleration, as it is well known for causing "hesitation" especially from a standing start.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the aircon {if it has it}, was on, that may account for the stutter / struggle on acceleration, as it is well known for causing "hesitation" especially from a standing start.
this could have been it, it had only been running for a few minutes and i think the air con was on.

Anyone had any experience with the water from the boot?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Maybe it just needs new spark plugs....

whats the service history like? and how much are they selling it for?

81k is high but not really high - some on here have gone over 120k and still going strong

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
... i'm looking to buy a cooper S, it's an 03 and when i test drove the car and accelerated it felt like was a small amount of stutter (more like a struggle) as accelerating.
The "yoyo" or stutter problem was common with early model year MCS's and these were addressed with ECU updates. Perhaps the car you're looking at never had it's ECU updated.

You can do a search on titles for "yoyo" to find threads on this subject.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input, it's for ssale at a nice cheap £6800, has 4 almost brand new pirelli tyres (run flats), Chilli pack.

So far it has a full service history from Mini dealers, last was at 68k so i'm guessing one will be due soon but aprently thats upto the speedo!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts