MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having problems with my Mini Cooper Passenger door and the electric window not working on that side, I took it into my dealer to get it repaired. I was then told by my dealer that I am not using my window enough and it has siezed up!! Has anyone heard of this before? :confused: (I use the door as much as the next person I'm sure!)

·
www.totalmini*****
15,256 Posts
PMSL :D:D:D:D

What crap do these dealers want to throw at us!! There's no such thing as not using your windows enough, especially on a brand new motor!! Tell him to stop taking the pee and fix the bugger.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They fixed the problem on the day, he just said they had to lubricate the unit in the door. But if it happens again they will replace the whole unit (Note: the car is now 18 months old, so not brand new)

·
www.totalmini*****
15,256 Posts
Even so, you'd expect the winder mechanism on a 1978 Clubman to seize up, not a 2002 MINI :D Honestly there can be no suh thing as not using your windows enough on a new (under 3 years) car.

·
owt else is just traffic
1,462 Posts
Dealers talking [email protected],that reminds me of when i had my new classic mini in 1989.The number plate fell off in the snow and when i checked it,it had been stuck on with those sellotape sticky pads.I told them i wanted it replacing and was told that i'd be charged for it.I said that it should have been screwed on,not stuck on(some modern cars you could get away with it but not the old mini).I was told that there weren't any holes to screw it to.I said yes there are and they've been there since 1959 as far as i'm aware."But the screws that Rover supply are too small" they say.Well get some bigger ones i said.If you had stuck my door on with sellotape and it had fallen off would you expect me to pay for that.This was the mini that put me off buying a new car until 1999.I'd had loads of hundred quid minis that faired better than the new one.It got stuck in reverse and they suposedly changed the gearbox.Just after the 12 month warranty ran out(remember them)it started to lose gears and jump out of gear.A proffessional mechanic friend put a recon box on for me and as i was telling him about the new box that Rover had put on he looked puzzled.He said that it hadn't had a new box,i asked how he knew.He said that he had broken the paint seals on the gearbox.surely these would have already been broken if Rover had put a new box on.At the time i had a list as long as your arm of faults.....oh the joys of late eighties Rover mini ownership.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I forgot where I read about it (maybe here?!) but I do recall reading about it being a good idea to exercise the electric windows every now and then. Something about the fact that our windows only move a small amount with each door opening and wearing out the brushes at those spots.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.