MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just had a look at the images that are available from the home page of this site.

It would appear to me that the Cooper S is desperately trying to look better than the Cooper.

Most of the comments that accompant the Cooper S pictures can actually be applied to the Cooper too.

And when you begin to look at the images of them both side by side you really begin to appreciate the looks of the Cooper over the Cooper S.

I think there will always be a rival between the two models, but hey, Cooper S has a massive insurance grouping and hence cost. And at the end of the day the Cooper is capable of doing over 120Mph and when you drive a MINI it's all about handling, not racing off from the lights.

I mean, I raced a Golf GTI Turbo onto the motorway yesterday and I raced past it at 90 mph on what could only be compared with a large round about. The cornering was AMAZING - oh, and did I tell you it was raining hard !!

I never saw it again - MINI 1 : VW 0.

So - Who needs the Cooper S when you have the Cooper. It shares the same suspension, wheels, interior, chasis etc.

Does anybody share these thoughts...?:)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I kind of agree.

I was a bit worried that I was spending just under £1k less than a Cooper S on my Cooper.

I prefer the look of the Cooper - with chrome and without the ulgy 'RS Turbo' vent in the bonnet. Dont really like the exhaust either - VW Lupu GTI pulls it off much better.

Of course id like the 163bhp but im not unhappy as a man with another Cooper Chili order placed.

Dave :D

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Blimey ! I thought I was the only one who doesn't like the styling of the S. The scoop looks very 80s and the bumpers look too after-market. The Cooper has a very cohesive design whereas the S has too many changes such as the carry handle spoiler.
I could wait and buy an S, but am delighted to be the future owner of a Cooper.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
KAS said:
I've just had a look at the images that are available from the home page of this site.

It would appear to me that the Cooper S is desperately trying to look better than the Cooper.

Most of the comments that accompant the Cooper S pictures can actually be applied to the Cooper too.

And when you begin to look at the images of them both side by side you really begin to appreciate the looks of the Cooper over the Cooper S.

I think there will always be a rival between the two models, but hey, Cooper S has a massive insurance grouping and hence cost. And at the end of the day the Cooper is capable of doing over 120Mph and when you drive a MINI it's all about handling, not racing off from the lights.

I mean, I raced a Golf GTI Turbo onto the motorway yesterday and I raced past it at 90 mph on what could only be compared with a large round about. The cornering was AMAZING - oh, and did I tell you it was raining hard !!

So - Who needs the Cooper S when you have the Cooper. It shares the same suspension, wheels, interior, chasis etc.

Well..the Cooper is just as "good" as the "S". After all, it's whatever floats YOUR boat in the end...right? However the two models do not share the same suspension unless you upgrade the Cooper. The same goes for the wheels. And the interior has differences as well. The turbo GTI must have been eating a burger. Since all opinions are valid, I feel that the "S" makes the formerly "hot" looking Cooper a little less "hot".I Love the much more muscular, business-like look of the "S". Just my opinion though...no more valid than anybody's.

·
Registered
353 Posts
By Smartbomb

"Blimey ! I thought I was the only one who doesn't like the styling of the S. The scoop looks very 80s and the bumpers look too after-market. The Cooper has a very cohesive design whereas the S has too many changes such as the carry handle spoiler.
I could wait and buy an S, but am delighted to be the future owner of a Cooper."

By Baldie

"I was a bit worried that I was spending just under £1k less than a Cooper S on my Cooper.

I prefer the look of the Cooper - with chrome and without the ulgy 'RS Turbo' vent in the bonnet."

It's like one mind fellas - I couldn't have put it better myself. I thought I was the only one too!:D :D :D

·
Registered
283 Posts
Personally, I like the clean look of the Cooper better than the S. If I could have it all I'd get a Cooper with sports package and the power of the S. A few performance groups are talking about a turbo kit for the Cooper so that's always an option. I'm on both lists at Princeton MINI but I'm going to get the Cooper with the sports and premium packages instead of the S.

I used to have a Twin Turbo 300Z and the turbo and NA guys were always fighting over which is better. I hope the MINI guys/gals don't do this. As far as I'm concerned all MINI's are cool including the classic. We all should respect each others choices and embrace the spirit of the MINI regardless of which one it is.:)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Re: Re: Image of the Cooper against the Cooper S

kshapiro said:
Well..the Cooper is just as "good" as the "S". After all, it's whatever floats YOUR boat in the end...right? However the two models do not share the same suspension unless you upgrade the Cooper. The same goes for the wheels. And the interior has differences as well. The turbo GTI must have been eating a burger. Since all opinions are valid, I feel that the "S" makes the formerly "hot" looking Cooper a little less "hot".I Love the much more muscular, business-like look of the "S". Just my opinion though...no more valid than anybody's.
I agree with kshapiro.

My personal preference is that I don't like all the chrome of the Cooper and would rather have a MINI One.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Drakken said:
"Only those who dare, truely live."
-Enzo Ferrari
Drakken, since you like old Enzo I couldn't resist this picture which shows one of his 3 Mini Coopers (and his friend Sir Alec as well).

When Mr. Ferrari wanted to drive a fun car this is what he chose. And if he was still alive today, he'd probably want a new MINI Cooper S! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I can just see the Mafia using the MINI now :D :D :D

hey, Tony Soprano to have a Cooper S :confused: :confused: :D :D :D

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Re: Image of the Cooper against the Cooper S

kshapiro said:

Well I can tell you that he wasn't eating a burger - I can verify that as I sped past him. He was also racing me too as he was zipping in and out of lanes to cath me up.

I also had the upgrade to SS+ and fat alloys !

I went for a test drive in the Turbo GTI before I bought the mini (same size engine) and it didn't perform for me.

...and before you come back with a smart alleck reply, I race frequently at Oulton park, so I know what I'm talking about !!

Also, when you refer to the interior of the cooper being different to the S then if you mean the '6' on the gear know, then your correct.

Lets face it - the S is just to comfort the boy racers who have small .....:eek:

:cool: long live the COOPER !!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Lookwise, i prefer the Cooper to the Cooper S as it is more true to the classic.

Personally i do find the S unappealling with the air intake vent on the bonnet, less chrome and if i were to make a choice again, i would still choose the Cooper.
i am truly truly happy with my cooper that arrived a week ago.

long live the cooper!:p

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Image of the Cooper against the Cooper S

I think the S front end is more true to the classic Mini in shape, more bullnosed thanks to the bulge on the bonnet.

The standard interior trim is different. Sports seats alloy look dash, leather s/wheel and gear lever etc....

I like them both, the main down side on the S for me is the roof spoiler, I dont like spoilers.

:confused:

·
Registered
45 Posts
coopers/cooper

Personally speeaking, I have not seen a mini I didn't like, even though I drive the most eye-catching 'S' , in dark silver and white,I still admire all others. I'll be up for the s convertible, placing my order Thursday morning. I already hate the thought of losing the mini I have - feels kinda like a betrayal. Might have to keep him as well!

·
Aimee
256 Posts
I think Cooper's and S' are both gorgeous cars! :) I drive a Cooper, but I think S' are equally nice looking. I love the front scoop on the S, and the bumpers.

·
Stoke me a Clipper!
766 Posts
teddyx said:
Personally speeaking, I have not seen a mini I didn't like, even though I drive the most eye-catching 'S' , in dark silver and white,I still admire all others. I'll be up for the s convertible, placing my order Thursday morning. I already hate the thought of losing the mini I have - feels kinda like a betrayal. Might have to keep him as well!
You heart breaker! Leaving your MCS for a younger model :p

·
Registered
238 Posts
You all know the cooper S looks better.. you just cant afford it.. paupers. As for a cooper beating a gti? nah, he was eating a burger and reading the paper ;)

·
Stoke me a Clipper!
766 Posts
mikeythemikey said:
You all know the cooper S looks better.. you just cant afford it.. paupers. As for a cooper beating a gti? nah, he was eating a burger and reading the paper ;)
I see Mikey.... well all I can say is :p

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
KAS said:

So how about giving us these comments you are refering too? Both cars look equally as good as each IMO, so not sure why you are bashing the MCS?

KAS said:

Not sure what you mean about rivalry between both models, not seen this or been apart of this myself, like I said both cars are equally good looking as the other. So not sure why you are bashing the S? Are you trying to convince yourself that you have the better car, and that the higher priced S which you don't have is a poor car? Is there really a bit of envy behind this thread starting?

As for racing well if you are happy boasting about speeding and racing a Golf on public roads then good luck to you, but its not something I would be shouting about.

If you actaully read about both cars, there are differences as people have pointed out, if you are going to start a debate it is best to be educated and find out about the subject firstly.

Now my personal opinion is when I brought my MINI I went to order a Cooper, loved the look and was smitten with the classic styling, the chrome inserts on the bumpers. But upon then a closer look at the S and of course a drive I had to have one. The side profile is more fitting to the classic shape, with the squarer more bulging bonnet, it just looks more like a classic MINI.

So I am guessing that if it is this you don't like then you won't be ordering a new engined MINI in 2005, as this is most likely going to bulging up the bonnet on all of the range, if the pics of the test mule are anything to go by.

I await your reply KAS

·
Dating my S
587 Posts
cooper looks somewhat cuter... mainly i think that is cuze its rounder around the bumper... and all that chrome is overkill to me though...

the S is alot more agressive.. even subdue colors like white makes the S looks very agressive... i never liked the S spoilers tho.. reminds me of a bag handle! ;)

i never felt there are rivalary between the two.. the cooper has its good points and so does the S... i love both equally...

1 - 20 of 100 Posts