MINI Cooper Forum banner

IMPORTANT. Have you had a power steering/pump failure? YES or NO only please.

921 - 940 of 1168 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am about to embark on a DIY pump clean (replacement, if that fails) with the help of my dad.

My girlfriends mini is a 52 reg which she has had from new and given its low value I just can't justify a BMW repair as they did not offer any "goodwill" saying the car was too old.

From those who have done it, how much hydraulic fluid should I order - 1l or 2l ... or perhaps more?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
When the pump fails, the steering becomes very heavy. I would not be able control the car one-handed in the scenario you describe without it - with both hands, perhaps. However, most of the instances I've read about had seen the pumps fail at low speed when it is under the most stress. At higher speeds, you generally aren't asking the pump to move to such acute angles and there is less resistance from the tires against the road in a turn.

As to the good news: there's actually some preventative maintenance you can do on the pump to make sure it does not fail, so an uprated pump isn't actually necessary. If you click on the guide in my signature, there's a section on pump maintenance linking to posts by others on how to maintain the pump.

The GP is an excellent car, so don't let the issue with the pump put you off. It's better to have known issues that you can prevent and/or prepare for, than to be surprised by something you had not anticipated. ;)

All the best,
Andrew.
Can I point out that you wouldn't really feel the difference at 60mph, you can still drive round with the power steering pump not working. Its not like you would fly off the road.
The main issue is when you are moving at very slow speeds ie 5mph, like when cars didnt have power steering. I have driven alot of minis with broken power steering and have not crashed any of them.

Just thought I would stop the worrying.

PS alot of people call this pump a poor design but dont forget now most new cars have electric steering. New ideas always have faults but if we never had new ideas we would never improve cars

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,

Can anyone else confirm that if you loose power steering suddenly at speed due to pump failure, you are still able to easily steer the car. It's just at slower speeds it becomes more of an issue.

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dear NeuroBeaker I am new to this forum and got here because my wifes 2004 mini has just had a service and they found that the power steering pump needs replacing as is is leaking. The car has only done 28000 miles. As the steering hasn't failed(yet !) do you think mini will help with the costs? ( quoted £666) If so could you please e-mail me the template complaint letter please to [email protected]
Many thanks
Carl

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Dear NeuroBeaker I am new to this forum and got here because my wifes 2004 mini has just had a service and they found that the power steering pump needs replacing as is is leaking. The car has only done 28000 miles. As the steering hasn't failed(yet !) do you think mini will help with the costs? ( quoted £666) If so could you please e-mail me the template complaint letter please to [email protected]
Many thanks
Carl
You don't need to pay £666..............any good independent garage will charge you approx 2 hours labour to fit and BBA-Reman will sell you a 2-year warranty reconditioned pump for around £200 on ebay (exchange).
Power Steering Pump replacement - Forums

·
Registered
1 Posts
All,

Thanks for all the help on here. My wife's cooper S had the pump run continuously after turning ignition off (at 2 in the morning!) - eventually disconnected the battery and took to Halliwell Jones in Chester. The guys there have been helpful so far and submitted my request for Mini UK assistance with costs - which Mini UK promptly refused. I called the Mini Customer Services direct whereupon I was told that they were aware of thefault but that they work according to a matrix of age, mileage and FSH. Given my car was 6years old, one year above their agreed maximum for goodwill claims, they turned my claim down. On escalating this to a supervisor however, and pushing the point that I was a good customer, risk of fire, VOSA, Wtachdog etc the guy eventually relented and agreed to cover 50% of the parts. I think I'm now due to pay around £400 rather than £700. I think if you push hard enough and complain as far up the chain as necessary, you will probably get them to relent, unless your car is particularly old/high mileage. So - good result so far, but I'll reserve judgement till [email protected] got the car back. Good luck folks..

·
Sonicboom2010
2 Posts
I've had the exact same experience with a 6 year old 28k Mileage. Customer services I rang today couldn't have been more unhelpful if they tried.
He even started talking over me as I was explaining my near accident on a roundabout.

I 'll push this further, but I already used the BBC watchdog report, but nothing except the warranty was over so its my responsibility grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update.. Took the letter to my dealer. The service manager was helpful and even admitted there was a problem with these pumps. He contacted Mini Uk who basically did not want to know stating that even though my car had only done 28K it was nearly six years old and therefore they were not prepared to assist with the costs. The dealer service manager has offered to do a discount( what, i'm not sure) but has given me the mini uk customer services No. to see if I can bend their arm but after reading the above post I'm not at all optimistic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Template sent. Good luck!!! :D

All the best,
Andrew.
hi there andrew, can you send me the template please as it looks like my pump is on the way out,
car is a 54 plate mcs jcw convertible with 30k on the clock,
blinking eck, I just sold a skoda octavia 2 vrs after I fixed a well known abs pump sensor, and the hassle I had with skoda over a good will gesture :(

cheers
Mike
[email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2005 Mini with 150,000 miles. The steering cooling fan will not stop running when car is turned off, no pump failure, no steering problems. I have to disconnect the battery. How can I fix this problem.

Ron

·
Registered
1 Posts
" Hi - Can anybody help

We have had a steering pump failure on our 2001 mini cooper, my wife had been complaining of the steering failing and the car being intermitently undriveable when going around a roundabout. Luckilly the battery was flattened later that day after she parked up at sainsburys (A result of the failure means the pump carries on running?) so she didnt get chance to run anybody over that afternoon! When the Green Flag Rescue came they started the car but warned me that their maybe a fault with the electrics on the power steering pump and the car might not be safe to drive and made us aware of the watchdog problem. Green Flag followed me home in it and said they would transport it wherever the following day if needed.

Concerned for the safety of my kids, when I got home I logged onto the web to see if it was a common fault and up popped up your forum and the watchdog piece, I was livid that this had not been recalled, my children had been driven around in a death trap and over a 1000 people on this forum have experienced the same fault - what does it take for a recall - people to die!! this could be another Toyota/lexus...

On Watchdog somebody spoke of a fire and to not leave a car in the garage if the pump had failed as it would still run and maybe catch fire, I went into the garage and their was a burning smell and the pump was still running. As the car wouldnt start as the battery had flattend again I pushed it out of the garage, not only where BMW happy for a faulty part not be recalled, but they where going to burn my bloody house down as well!

I immediately rang BMW helpine from the number provided by watchdog as I was naturally worried for my wife and kids safety. A decent gent at BMW initimated it would be covered by goodwill, he commented that the pump should last the duration of the vehicle or at least 100,000 miles (Ours has done 81,000) and they are aware of the failures. I was told I needed to take it into local BMW MINI dealer (BLUE BELL WILMSLOW) which I did that afterrnoon and they said to me I needed to pay a £90 inspection fee, I stated that the Green Flag had said it was the pump, so why the £90? company policy was the response.

BLUE BELL rang me back this morning and confirmed following the inspection that it is the faulty steering pump, and said it was £600+ and they would put a goodwill request to BMW this afternoon.
To try and speed things along, I rang BMW head office this afternoon who have denied that anybody had said it would be covered by goodwill even after giving me a unqiue reference number to give to Blue Bell BMW for the goodwill claim.On the phone a very abrupt and not at all understanding member of BMW customer services team said that irrelevant of a goodwill request they are only covering vehicle of up to six years old !!! I am livid.

I have now received a call from BLUE BELL WILMSLOW this afternoon who have said the faulty part will not be replaced under a good will request.

I have sent this forum entry to the gent who I originally spoke to who efficiently gave me my individual reference number. I am going to give BMW them the opportunity to deal with this issue before I send it to my brief, our MP and notify the local and national press.

This is an absolute disgrace and shows complete negligence on BMW's part.

Yours very angry

Lee"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lee, I just picked my car up today after getting the same fault on my 54 plate mini,
I recieved a good will gesture but all beware as there is no such thing at least thats not what I recieved,
Bmw reduced the price of the part by 50%, which makes it £250 plus vat, and I had to pay labour, fault finding etc, leaving me with a bill for £500, I had to go along with this for peace of mind and 2 year warranty on the part, and I needed the car back asap,

its totally wrong and this whole set up of this good will gesture for me is crap, they must have the car in and you must pay for fault finding (even though I knew it was the pump) before they falsly lure you into thinking there is a chance of a gesture,

anyway after all this I accepted it all, for the reasons above, but what really got my goat up was the fact that when I picked the car up, I asked for the old part back for 2 reasons
1, it belongs to me
2, if the part fails again after 2 years, I will have a spare to get refurbed,

the dealer and bmw told me I couldnt have MY part back because they want it as a condition of me accepting the goodwill gesture, but I was not aware of this condition,
I argued with bmw so called customer services for 10 mins about property etc and the fact that the failed part still belongs to me but I wasnt getting anywhere, the fact was I didnt know of any conditions etc

I've just paid £500 for a power steering pump exchange, I'm really not happy, sorry about the rant, also the dealer told me the warranty was for only 12 months because of the so called good will gesture, I soon asked bmw about this and they confirmed it is in fact 2 years because I payed 50% of the part, the dealer thanked me for putting him straight!!!

all in all I'm left feeling very sour and hard done by, they play on words and the hope of getting something wright done in order to make money from you to replace a part that should not go wrong ffs :(

bmw is a very big business and today I learnt that they are better at business than me :(

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
(Ours has done 81,000)
Sorry but I would not expect goodwill for this after 81,000 miles on a 2001 Mini, many components could fail at that mileage on any make of car. You have done well if it is the original pump.....most goodwill payments on this are for a max of 40,000 miles inside 5 years warranty or less miles outside warranty.
There was no ps recall by VOSA as the MINI like most modern cars is still possible to steer without power steering in the event of pump failure.

The replacement job should cost no more than £200 approx for an exchange recon pump + 2 hours labour at a good independent garage.
More details:
Power Steering Pump replacement - Forums

·
Registered
3 Posts
vosa deemed the fault not a safety critical matter because the ps is a driver aid, but if your wife and children were going round a corner and the psp failed that would certainly become a safety critical matter, maybe not to vosa or bmw but definately me.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Lee,
You are surprised at BMW not providing a recall? This is typical of car manufacturers arrogance in dealing with the British public. They don't care unless there is a big enough stink created and they sense they could lose money. Take a look at the Clubman. The suicide door is well named as it is on the wrong side for RHD cars. Does BMW care? Not one jot. Oh you'll get the usual response that it would be costly to do this blah blah. If this was legislative it would be done.

morrisminiminor

·
Registered
1 Posts
You guess what went wrong 15 minutes into my drive home from work. After eventually getting home and leaving it (Cooper S - 2003) for 1 hour, the steering was working again and still ok after a 10 minute drive. The next morning on the way to work it went again after 15 minutes, could hear the motor noise increase and die few times before giving up.
Mini dealer quoted £690 for part/labour, and no chance of Mini UK helping towards the costs as its now a wear/tear item due to the age of the car. But I'll keep trying directly with Mini UK as I have nothing to lose.

Good luck all

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased an 2003 mini cooper from a supposedly good car dealer in West Bromitch. 3 months and 4 days later the Battery & PAS pump need replacing...their answer you ask? Sorry, you should have purchased the additional warranty we offered you for £450. I was foolish to think that buying from a 2nd hand car from a big Brand at a higher price gave you a good after sales service...this is not always true.

Given that this car is now 9yrs old, can anyone recommend any other route than me paying up?

·
Registered
13 Posts
my wife almost had a fatal accident a few days back when her PSP failed as she was turning in a round about next to a truck!
the car is a 2007 Mini Cooper Convertible with ~62k miles on the clock.

i've contacted BMW/Mini and all i got back was the following BS response:

"I’m very sorry to hear that you are facing problem with your lovely Mini,
As you know, the failure of electronic or mechanical components is something which can happen in any machine and no one can tell when it will happen.
For your concern regarding Technical Recall for the PSP we don’t have any recall regarding this matter since we don’t have very massive no of cases worldwide (PSP failure) and to have broken PSP in our vehicles is very rare."

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
I purchased an 2003 mini cooper from a supposedly good car dealer in West Bromitch. 3 months and 4 days later the Battery & PAS pump need replacing...their answer you ask? Sorry, you should have purchased the additional warranty we offered you for £450. I was foolish to think that buying from a 2nd hand car from a big Brand at a higher price gave you a good after sales service...this is not always true.

Given that this car is now 9yrs old, can anyone recommend any other route than me paying up?
No...........the car is 9 years old and you chose not to take out additional warranty, cars of that age are much more likely to go wrong even from a big brand so you took a risk, sometimes it pays off, sometimes not......

921 - 940 of 1168 Posts