MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried importing a mini
I have been quoted by a bmw dealer in belgium. looks like you could save a grand on UK list. Anyone any experience of importing? Are there any cheaper sources to buy it from

Model MINI Cooper
13.884,30 (13884 Euro = 8,538.22 UK Sterling + vat = 10,032 + 720 for rhd and transit plates)

Kleur en binnenbekleding :
Prijs exclusief BTW in EUR
Chili Red 0851
Cuir Profile Panther Black 1.066,12 T5PN
Opties :
0228 Suspension sport Plus 132,23
0240 Volant cuir 115,70
0302 Système d'alarme 264,46
0325 Spoiler arrière
0368 Jantes alu 'design 5 spoke' 520,66
0382 Toit et rétroviseurs blancs
0423 Tapis en velours
0427 Intérieur silver brillant
0450 Siège passager - réglage en hauteur 47,11
0481 Sièges sport à l'avant 231,40
0493 Pack rangement
0520 Phares anti-brouillard
0530 Climatiseur 785,12
0550 Ordinateur de bord 132,23
0564 Kit éclairage intérieur
0872 Pack d'équipement 3
0ZB2 Chili -933,87
Subtotaal opties , kleur en bekleding.
2.361,16 Prijs exclusief BTW in EUR
Diversen :
Extra cost for RHD 800,00
Transit plates and paperwork 371,84

Prijs exclusief BTW in EUR 17.417,30
Korting -416,53
Totaalprijs in EUR 17.000,77 (17000 Euro = 10,454.46 UK Sterling+ vat = 12,283))

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Is the TLC pack available ? If not then the saving margin shrinks quite a bit. Broadspeed ? were going to offer imports but I think that discounts are slim and they are not offering the MINI at the mo.

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
The TLC package saves around £600-700 or so, so it would be worth considering. Although the purchase price is cheaper, the overall saving may be somewhat smaller.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Speaking of importing - does anyone know if it would be possible to import a MINI from the UK to the US? I'd love to have a model with the steering on the right-hand side!

Michael

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you also have to include ferrie costs back and flights to get there. I believe you only get one years warranty in europe also, not sure if this is correct.
Its looking less attractive

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
I have done a lot of searching and hunting on the net looking for the best place to buy a MINI. A site called showroom4cars were offering £1000 off, but they withdrew this. I have enquired with virgin, oneswoop and countless others but had no joy in making any saving. So after doing as much research as possible I went to a dealer. They can offer TLC, proper aftersales and can actually supply a car !
In time there will be imports but as this won't include TLC the saving wouldn't be worth the aggrevation.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
lord13 said:
Speaking of importing - does anyone know if it would be possible to import a MINI from the UK to the US? I'd love to have a model with the steering on the right-hand side!

Michael
I'd like a RHD MINI too, to match my '65 classic Mini, but there are two big hurdles. 1.) BMW won't make a US-spec version in RHD 2.) It's impossible to privately import a non-US spec MINI into the US and register it for street use.

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
MINIAC said:

Unless you wait 25 years ;)
Yes, re-shelling is not an option with the MINI :(

·
Registered
65 Posts
pollarj said:
no I don't believe you can get TLC
On the TLC flyer that I have here at the very bottom in the small print these magic words appear for car importers...

"MINI tlc is also available on non-UK sourced cars - ask your MINI dealer for a quotation."

However this suggests to me that 'it is availible, but it won't be £100!'

·
Registered
350 Posts
I think that manual transmission makes a car less attractive to thieves, I was wondering if RHD would make it virtually theft-proof.

Then I saw this from MINIAC last April, in the thread about RHD:
"I wish I still had my 1967 Austin Cooper S that was stolen many years ago. Enjoy the fact that you have one of the classic Minis and will be able to get NEW one next year."

Lo-jack is a good investment.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Imports

I spoke to Broadspeed, Virgin.com and an independent broker. They all could not quote as there was no RHD allocation for other european countries. I thought about Ireland but without TLC I doubt if the savings are worth it. Block Exemption is supposed to end in March 2002, but with demand outstripping supply I doubt this will have any impact in the near future. I'm going to bite the bullet and order from a UK dealer, but I am waiting to see if MINI/BMW can iron out all the niggles that people are experiencing. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Llama said:

On the TLC flyer that I have here at the very bottom in the small print these magic words appear for car importers...

"MINI tlc is also available on non-UK sourced cars - ask your MINI dealer for a quotation."

However this suggests to me that 'it is availible, but it won't be £100!'
That comment has been removed from the new flyers and my dealer tells me that TLC can now only be pre-speced, I'm sure that breaks some european law but could you be bothered to fight?

·
Registered
4 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts