MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to buy an in-car Snowman lit by the car cigarette lighter.I wonder if it would be legal to place it behind the back seats for urban driving(as opposed to motorways). :cool:

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
I have no idea, but that's an excellent idea!!! While you're at it, get another snowman, a female one, and put her next to Frosty. That would be tops!!! :cool: :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
techiedoc said:
I am planning to buy an in-car Snowman lit by the car cigarette lighter.I wonder if it would be legal to place it behind the back seats for urban driving(as opposed to motorways). :cool:
As I understand it, it depends what colour it lights up.

The regulations basically say that you must not show any red light to the front (with a few exceptions) and you must show only red light to the rear (with a long list of exceptions -- which strangely does not mention either snowmen or Christmas decorations in general (surely a oversight by the Minister of Transport :))).

So if it is red, I think it should be OK, as long as you can't see the red light from the front, and as long as it's not bright enough to dazzle anyone.

Oh, hang on... it's not allowed to "automatically emit a flashing light" either.

See The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 for the full details of these tedious rules.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I totally want to do this this year. Anyone know regulations in teh States? Also, where can one get cigarette lighter powered lights?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts