MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished putting the xbox and tv in.
Got to carpet the piece the amps are on, make a shelf above the amps for the xbox to go on and get a sub to go where the xbox is now.

1st pic is of all the stuff in the boot - 240v mains power inverter with pc cooling fan, 4 x 75 watt amp ( with extension cable running to speaker connections in dash), 1farrad capacitor, fuse block for amp and inverter/screen, connector block for earths, blue box with relay for inverter in and more fuses, xbox with home made extension cable to extend ports 3 and 4 to the dash (also modified to turn the xbox on as soon as it gets 240v when in the car - xbox thinks power button is held in).

2nd pic is of the controller ports under the centre console with the www.newministuff.co.uk universal mfsw to infra red adapter.

3rd pic is of a vibe dc10 bass controller being used as a volume control (the 2nd one will be used to control the bass level to the sub amp).

4th and 5th pics are of the new italian job dvd playin on the screen + xbox.

Needs a bit of work to tidy up but since ive only had the car 48hrs i think i should spend more time drivin it than working on it.
All me albums are on the xbox now so no swapping cd's or jumping music, whole system costs lest than mini's sat nav or tv screens too!

Attachments

·
Mini2 saved my life
412 Posts
luVlee said:
ew? let's try not to make a good car into some "RICE/PIMPED OUT Negro Box Gone wrong" plz?
Gotta agree with you there! I don't get it!. the 'S' is a drivers car! leave that kind of modding to the spotty Geeeezer's in their Nova's and Saxo's.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The inverter is only on with the ignition (thanks to the relay), and since i only have the ignition on when driving it isn't going to drain the batt.
Inverter auto turns off if the batt gets low anyway (and if it overheats, hence the fan)
The entire install cost £500 approx over 2yrs, and how much is the HK from mini - £350, it don't play DVD's and cant store ALL of my albums without skipping.

The S is my car and when not driving it hard id like to listen to sum music and allow any passengers to watch a dvd while cruise control is set on the bypass.

I know it aint the tidyist looking at the moment but it works and keeps me playin with the mini.

·
R53 Turbo!
1,931 Posts
Juslow said:
Gotta agree with you there! I don't get it!. the 'S' is a drivers car! leave that kind of modding to the spotty Geeeezer's in their Nova's and Saxo's.
Each to their own, thank goodness for individuality
Does this mean you won't be adding any bits to your car :rolleyes: like chrome :eek: :p

·
MINI2 Lover
463 Posts
Xbox in a car is the most USELESS thing u can do. Who is ganna seat it their car and play xbox? Imagine ppl walking by and seeing u PLAYING xbox by urself or PERHAPS with ur friend in ur mini..DAMN U be lucky if u don't get that jacked. And Who even has time to play xbox, in their cars? Are u ganna come home after your work and park in the garage and play ur xbox? hehe Just my thought. Nothing against ppl who does it. :D

·
R53 Turbo!
1,931 Posts
luVlee said:
Xbox in a car is the most USELESS thing u can do. Who is ganna seat it their car and play xbox? Imagine ppl walking by and seeing u PLAYING xbox by urself or PERHAPS with ur friend in ur mini..DAMN U be lucky if u don't get that jacked. And Who even has time to play xbox, in their cars? Are u ganna come home after your work and park in the garage and play ur xbox? hehe Just my thought. Nothing against ppl who does it. :D
My girlfriends son plays with my PS2 non stop on long journeys and during mini runs ;)
whilst my girlfriend is watching a movie which leaves me to listen to music :cool:

·
Mini2 saved my life
412 Posts
Bonnie Scotland said:
Each to their own, thank goodness for individuality
Does this mean you won't be adding any bits to your car :rolleyes: like chrome :eek: :p
Yeah!! I am adding chrome line interior, thats a touch of class, not quite the same as rigging up an xbox though is it!!

Like we say, each to his own thang! that's what counts.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I personally don't think adding a £5 piece of chrome adds class, just adds extra weight to a "drivers car".
Different people want different things from their cars though, probably why the mini has one of the largest options lists.

The xbox still hasn't been used for playing games, its mainly used to play music videos, also got a few DVD's saved on the hard disk (of wich i own all the originals) and also play my mp3's when not on cruise control.
It's basicly an ipod with a 160gb hard drive and video option as well as audio.

The xbox is running linux (chipped with linux bios) and is running a program called friendtech media centre (a legal linux operating system), so its now more of a pc than a games console (can be used to surf the internet and all other pc stuff).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi there,

I'm going to be installing the XBOX into my car too. Please could you tell me which power invertor you are using since I want a decent one so that I don't get any interference. Also where did you get your blue relay and how did you modify your xbox so it thinks the power is held on?

Thank you

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Because of the noise of the invertor i swaped it for a new stereo and ipod adapter.
I used a maplin 300watt inverter, the blue relay box was junked and the inverter was just running off the boot cigarette lighter plug in the end, the two volume controls were also junked and i used a SWIX steering wheel adapter off mikey to control the volume instead, for the xbox to come on all the time you need to make it so the power switch is constantly in (it only works when it gets 240v off the inverter then), you could just solder the contacts together but i used a sepate push on / push off switch.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i like the idea maybe could of been a bit neater but well done dude. ill be doing the same in mine soon enough it is a drivers car but i really cnt see that affecting it that much i go to alot of car shows when the season begings and camping over having a laff etc so maybe a spot of game playing before you crash out isnt such a bad thing. each to there own tho people want different things.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
13 Participants
Banana Panceyette
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing