MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else notice this problem? Ive had a scout about but cant find anything in the forums.

My MCS April 04 has a Sat Nav Computer thingy, i reset the computer each time i fill up so i can get a reading of my MPG, just done a long motorway trip and got 340 miles to the tank which i was quite impressed with, the computer said 38.1 mpg - nice i thought.

Filled up the tank to the click as i always do, got 46.8 litres in so must have been pretty dry, but that works out at 10.5 gallons which makes 32.35 mpg that is quite a large difference between the computer and the worked out readins.

I've noticed it a bit before but never really done such a long stint on the motorway before in one go.

Anyone else thing the computer is in accurate. ive noticed when coasting it goest to 99.999 on actual mpg, which cant be true is the engine is still moving.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
The OBC on my 2002 MCS overstates gas mileage by as much as 15%.

AFAIK it can't be re-calibrated.

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
I remember reading some posts on here a couple of years back about the trip computer lying about mpg. I don't think it's just a mini thing either- loads of cars do it. Only true reading you'll get will be by calculating it yourself. To be fair, if I was an engineer, I'd probably program the trip computer to overestimate slightly- makes the owner feel better about their car!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine is off as well. It show's that we average 30mpg. When calculated, It's only about 26mpg. It's hot here so the a/c stays on all of the time. I'm waiting for the winter to see if it does much better w/out the a/c on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its in for a service on Monday so will have a chat with the Mini peeps.

Not a major issue, i dont beleive for a second that im getting 38 mpg,
Just done another long trip today, 310 mile computer says ive got 40 miles left and have averaged 38 mpg again.

Just find it hard to beleive it is sooo far out, especially with german accuracy! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
I manually work out my mpg every time I fill up. The computer usually gives a reading of around 2-3 mpg more than it actually is.

·
I want that one!
135 Posts
My computer lies as well!

From my own calcuations each time i fill up i reckon i'm getting about 5mpg less than what the computer tells me.

I do a lot of travelling for work and can get up to 44mpg (PB) normally about 39-40mpg per the computer but based on miles covered and actual fuel used it's between 33-36mpg.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Anyone else notice this problem? Ive had a scout about but cant find anything in the forums.

My MCS April 04 has a Sat Nav Computer thingy, i reset the computer each time i fill up so i can get a reading of my MPG, just done a long motorway trip and got 340 miles to the tank which i was quite impressed with, the computer said 38.1 mpg - nice i thought.

Filled up the tank to the click as i always do, got 46.8 litres in so must have been pretty dry, but that works out at 10.5 gallons which makes 32.35 mpg that is quite a large difference between the computer and the worked out readins.

I've noticed it a bit before but never really done such a long stint on the motorway before in one go.

Anyone else thing the computer is in accurate. ive noticed when coasting it goest to 99.999 on actual mpg, which cant be true is the engine is still moving.
by coasting i take it you mean outta gear???
if your going fast enough a car would get well over that if it could free wheel all the way lol
as idilingdoesn't use much fuel. and if you stayed in gear while slowing you dont use any fuel at all :biggrin:

whats it matter if your only getting 32ish mpg that still good for how quick the car is (i admit its annoying that it isnt a correct reading)
but hey drive hard enough and you'll get 7 MPG!!!! LOL!!!

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
Always found mine quite accurate until I changed injectors but so far as I know you can adjust the correction factor in the OBD Screens in the FAQ.

It will never be perfect as its just calculated injector time and estimated flow rate but as the MCS varies fuel pressure to boost it will never be perfect :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts