MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple mod, takes 10mins and costs absolutely nothing:D

Front camber mod, increaseed from std. -0.5deg to -1.0deg. Following a post on NAM i finally got around to checking this out last night. The location pegs on the strut towers are removable. Early-mid cars are steel and screw out, the later versions i belive maybe plastic, and if so simply pull out with a pair of pliers. Jack side of car up. Slacken off the 3 off strut top bolts push the strut top over ( inwards ) as far as it will go and retighten nuts. Repeat for other side.

Driving around at normal everyday speed their is very little, if any difference, maybe a tad more self centering and a bit more feel aound the straight ahead. Normal cornering again shows no real difference. But and it is a big BUT, when you start 'driving it' around slow to medium speed corners / roundabouts the increased front end grip is amazing. I wouldn't have thought that 0.5deg. would make such a marked improvement. I cannot understand why they don't come as std. from the factory like this. I always drive with Sport mode on and traction control off and i have a few power mods and it now allows serious use of the power through corners that at the moment are cold and seriously wet.

Anybody else already done this mod, and have any similar experience.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Remember, as stated in the link above, you need an alignment after doing this mod. This is mandatory since your front toe will be significantly off (you'll get at least half a degree of toe in). Nevertheless this mod is a great improvement and I cannot recommend it enough.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Remember, as stated in the link above, you need an alignment after doing this mod. This is mandatory since your front toe will be significantly off (you'll get at least half a degree of toe in). Nevertheless this mod is a great improvement and I cannot recommend it enough.
If you have put coil overs on the front of your mini, than you will need to put a shim on the top of the strut tower . From under the hood remove the strut tower bolts and put the correct shim at the top of the tower and re tighten the strut bolts. This should correct the camber and allow for proper alignment.
Also I read where someone is hearing a knock from the front passenger side of the minis suspension, try making sure the strut springs are seated correctly to the spring top and bottom bump stop plates, especially if you are replacing the whole strut assembly . I think on gen 1 minis the strut assembly has to be assembled and the spring has to be rotated to the correct position on the bump stop plates, especially the bottom plate of the strut assembly . Or they will not function correctly. And the spring will be steel on steel instead of steel on rubber

1 - 4 of 4 Posts