MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
MINI2 Master BLASTER!!!!!
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, can anyone help me! I would like to know wther adding an induction kit and new exhaust will affect warranty on the ne mini.

And does anyone know where I can get New mini specific parts.

·
Amiga 500 to PS3 20 Years
4,636 Posts
Quite simply yes.

The only way to fit such accessories and keep your warranty is to buy the John Cooper Works Conversion like me.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ginge,

Do JCW sell the exhaust on its own? Or do you have to buy the "full Works"?

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
I was thinking of buying the JC induction kit/panel filter type thing and the AC Schnitzer exhaust...

However, I heard that JC won't split their works conversion package, and the filter comes from Pipercross. Is this right? If I buy it straight from pipercross, do you reckon it will still keep the warranty?

Cheers,

Dom

·
4,636 Posts
In reply to Silverstone. No they wont split the Works kit.

In reply to Dom quite obviously (well I thought so anyway) any modification will invalidate the warranty unless it is approved by BMW.

Although the Pipercross induction kit maybe the same as the Works one, the item on it's own is not approved by BMW.

·
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers for the info, given

Staying on the BMW approved thing, anyone know where I can get approved for the new mini without voiding the warranty?

·
4,636 Posts
Well at the mo the only thing approved is the John Cooper Works conversion. However Alpina are supposed to be doing a MINI. Whether any of their kit will be available after market or whether the cars will have to be bought as they are is another matter. They are certain to be BMW approved though.

·
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
begger!

I only aks cos I visited the K&N filter site www.knfilter.com

they say manufacturers can't void warranty for makeing the engine work more effefiently!

Check it out!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ok. Can someone help me with this? What, other than the press photo we've all seen and pretty much decided was a computer fake, makes us think that Alpina is really interested in the MINI? Please. Someone give me one good reason why we are holding out hope for this company. What makes them the gold-standard, by which all the other tuners (John Cooper Works, A.C. Schnitzer, etc...) are judged by? Alpina is a great BMW tuner, no doubt there, but have they officially said anything?
I think it's a farce.
Call it like I see it. :rolleyes:

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
Cheers for the info ginge, i was kinda hoping that if the pipercross was the works one, it might have been approved. I'm quite sure AC Schnitzer stuff keeps the warranty too, coz I want that exhaust :D

As for Alpina, I remember a report in one of the car mags where a journalist noticed a 4 pot engine being developed - although, they were cagey about what they say re: the mini, as you'd expect really...

Dom

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
A Question for you?

Would fitting a Cooper exhaust to a ONE effect the warranty:confused: :confused: :) :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
availability of exhaust and induction kit.......

If you have a look on website www.autofashion.co.uk, look up the new mini, bypass the disgusting body kit that has been invented for it and you should find the exhaust and induction section. I have spoken to these people and not only are they friendly and helpful but all there kit is tried out on there own mini first, prices seem reasonable, and there are phots of products, and charts to show increase in low down torque, just where it is needed. Keep an eye on this site, because they are planning lots of new products for mini soon..........as for warranty, just keep the old parts and swop them back when you need TLC to kick in.........

·
Registered
15 Posts
induction kit

Nice pic monsta............the kit available through autofashion.co.uk is £145.00 incl deliverey but not VAT, is S/S and looks a lot better than the works example!

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
Re: induction kit

danielcraig said:
Nice pic monsta............the kit available through autofashion.co.uk is £145.00 incl deliverey but not VAT, is S/S and looks a lot better than the works example!
Yes but they are not the same kits. Autofashion have developed their own. I'm not bothered by how it looks (it's under the bonnet!!), I just want to know about performance improvements.

The graph on the autofashion site does look impressive and their kit does appear to use a K&N which I would prefer. No doubt someone will be able to tell us if there is a difference between the two.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Ive got a K&N filter on my Fiesta at the moment. You can feel the increase in power & also makes a nice deep grunt. If you get the filter & the exhaust(helps you breath more easily:D :D )it should be an awesome sound & you should be albe to wake the heighbours up!!:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Puuuuuuuuuuuuurformance

Thanks Monsta, I am both interested in looks and performance, once I have my cooper, that will be going straight on, along with the SS exhaust box, did you check out the breakdown of the original exhaust box on the auto fashion site? boy is it restricted, poor mini needs to breath easier than that! do you have any other knowledge of performance parts currently available? have seen turbo kit coming soon through mini mania in the u.s and the superchip conversion. As you may have guessed, I am not particularly fond of the Cooper garage, after they distorted the information they gave me about the "works car"

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
The standard exhaust is quite restricting but judging by the noise of the Works cars, the restrictions are needed!

I'm waiting to see what playmini come up with as they always did good exhausts for old model minis. www.playmini.co.uk/new_mini.htm

·
Registered
105 Posts
Can I just point out one thing, Alpina are not Tuners in the common sense of the word, they are an independent manufacturer, and produce a ltd number of extremely high quality (exceeds BMW's own std's) vehicles, listed as their own cars. You can't buy a 'kit' from Alpina to tune your engine, or the suspension items seperatly (you can get suspension some items, but not all), & they have to be fitted at a dealer (BMW) as a complete package and will then be listed as an Alpina with it's own revised chassis number etc, i'd plaque etc. You will be able to get the wheels, badges, bodykits etc, as these are purely cosmetic. They are the gold standard that others try to attain to, but never quite get there (although Schnitzer are not that far behind)
The MINI has been investigated, they have several 'S' engines on test, looking at how to improve on this. If it gets released, expect excellent suspension alterations, and an engine that will surpass BMW's own 163 supercharged item (it may well retain the supercharger, but it will not have a turbo). Look at 200+bhp and on average £5/8k on top of the list price of the std 'S' dependent on options/packages fitted.

On the K&N front, on other performance BMW's (i.e M3 and M5) the installation of a K&N has shown to upset the sensors that are installed within the Inj System, making the car run too lean, M5's especially, so wether this could have the same affect on the MINI, I don't know..
The JC works kit is sold as a complete item, as it has modifications that allow for this sort of thing.

Hope this helps

1 - 20 of 55 Posts