MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Senior Clubber
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, another trip to Lohen and as usual great friendly and efficient service.

Three reasons this time.

First, to have a look at the new R56 Forge strut brace.
Sadly Forge let us down as it is not now due to be delivered until tomorrow, a bit dissapointing as they have had a week to get themselves sorted. :bad:

Second, to have the new Mintex M1144 pads fitted to the front brakes.
Have not tried them in anger yet but it is obvious straight away that they have much more bite than the standard offering. :nice:

Third, to have the HKS induction kit fitted.
Quite expensive but this does, IMHO, look the business and is a great piece of engineering.
The finish and attention to detail in the one piece aluminium tube and especially the filter housing is first class.

The good news is that there is no noticeable sound (hissing, sucking, roaring etc) when driving the car, even under hard accelleration.

What I am not so sure about is the air it is delivering.
On arival home after a 3 hour (150 mile) journey the ali tube was quite hot to the touch.
Not that hot that I could not hold my hand on it, certainly not as hot as the bonnet which seems capable of frying eggs after a relativel short journey, but none the less - hot.

Does this mean I am pre-heating the air before delivery and if so is it something I should be concerned with?

Not that I am likely to change as I really do think it looks the bizz. :D

Regards

Attachments

·
I'm avin 'oops
1,225 Posts
metal bit looks good but am not to keen on the bell end air cleaner

·
Firefly
164 Posts
I love the look of the pipe for the induction looks :cool:

I do sometimes worry about the air delivery like you have said with open induction like that. I suppose its fine when your moving along but due to its location preventing it just sucking in ambient hot air from the engine bay has got to be a real challenge.

What difference has there been in terms of sound as it's quite a serious looking bit of kit that.

What other mods have you done?

Looking cool matey :D

·
Banned
28 Posts
Im surprised it even works!

Its proven that on the mini engine and on most turbo'd cars that if there is no back pressure in the air box/induction kit then when the bov releases the hot air the turbo spools down because there is no back pressure keeping the turbo spinning so it takes longer to spool back up for maximum power, so a loss of responsiveness is very noticable. The stock cooper s air box is very good and prevents the loss of back pressure.

But atleast it looks the business.

Jammal.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I agree with the above post by Jammal - I found that by having an open filter similar to the one above, the 'spool up' time after having your foot down, then taking it off, then putting it down again was must greater than with the stock air box...
Investigation proved that with the stock air box, it traps air within in which is very easy for the engine to re-use and so the turbo spools up very quickly as I doesnt have to 'suck' because the air is already there (it cant vent to atmosphere) whereas with an open filter, the turbo discharges the air back out through the filter (similar to a BOV sort of) so when you put your foot down, it has to start sucking again to get any air - therefore massively increasing the spool up time when compared to stock.
I dont have dyno tests to prove this, but I can feel it 100% that the stock air box (with Pipercross panel filter in my case..) well outperforms an open air filter when changing gears and driving spirited because of the massive difference in spool up times...

Hope this helps!

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
i thought that the turbo dumping the preassure was a good thing because it enabled the turbo to keep spinning rather that the pressure inside it slowing it down? i am probably wrong but thats why i thought you had a dump valve for?

·
Registered
89 Posts
induction kit is all wrong

it is an open filter so it is sucking in warm air, also it looks a bit small-ish.

2nd the piping is metal! and it runs next to the engine so it will get very hot indeed

if you want a true cold air intake -> forge carbon intake is great

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
induction kit is all wrong

it is an open filter so it is sucking in warm air, also it looks a bit small-ish.

2nd the piping is metal! and it runs next to the engine so it will get very hot indeed

if you want a true cold air intake -> forge carbon intake is great
very good point.

If you get an induction kit - you should get a carbon one to shield from the hot air and also with ram-air piping with a hole cut in the bumper or lower grill to get the coldest air possible.

the placing of the airbox and hole even if you took the airbox out and put a straight feed in is in a stupid place - behind the engine where all the heat is going to be kept!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Spoke with HKS about this particular induction kit and basically they say it doesnt matter where its placed really because the issue concerning heat soak just doesnt make a difference and in most cases you will see a small rise in intake temp at the open filter head by a few degrees but as the compressed air after the turbo can reach temps of 170 degrees before it hits the intercooler this really makes no difference and once the charged air goes through the intercooler the temp drops dramatically before it gets to the intake manifold and the engine anyway. Plus its made by HKS, they aint releasing filters that wont work, cause there made by sneaky japanese scientists who love there emperor too much to fail.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts