MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad went to his local main bmw dealer today to have the ABS ECU parameters opened up due to him having his ap kit fitted, as bmw do this when you fit the jcw brake up-grade.

Now the tech told him that the main ecu is only re-mapable 13 times as they reset the ecu on each service - Is this correct ???

My dad wants the Performance torque remap in the new yr but is worried as they have said that this will wiped when the reset the ecu

discuss please

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
There is a limited number of times bmw can reflash your ecu. im not sure how many it is.

the after market maps bypass the counter.

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
so the re-map remains even if the dealership reflash the ecu in the service ?

No, if they update the software the remap will be overwritten. There were rumors of a lock on the ECU but I believe that most of the vendors have found a way around it.

Call PT and make sure that you are safe but once you mod you are without warranty for the most part. If BMW saw that you were running a different map, they could deny you service.

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
If they update the software then you loose your map. BMW maps/reflash have a counter...but aftermarket maps bypass this counter. The simplest way is that if you send the car for service at BMW you catagorically state that nothing must be reflashed/mapped without your say so. I used to stick a little note on the dash too for the actual tech who got in saying that ECU flashes should only be done after calling me for confirmation...I'd had 2 and both times the traction maps were total crap compared to my original until I got another and then stopped them reflashing it!

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
I tuned a 123D for a head BMW technician the other week, and was told by him that they don't update on every service, only when needed.

There is indeed a flash counter restricting the number re-flashes possible, but this is not a problem for us :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts