MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've inherited a RHD 2003 MINI Cooper S with 28.500 miles (46.000 km) on it. I am trying to figure out a good value for it, I'm not in the UK. I searched online and realised there is something called the Chili pack. I'm not sure if this car has it. It has full leather seats, a sunroof, LED lights. What other options should I look for?

Is there anything else which matters? How much would a car in excellent condition go for?

Thank you

Best,
Tellurius

·
Registered
12,728 Posts
has it got jcw on door shuts and any side skirts etc if it has in the uk that car would be north of £6000 to the right person, with them miles and in good condition of course would need to be full history and mileage checked etc, low miles cars are getting rare and prices are starting t go up for sure, very much a future classic

·
Registered
12,728 Posts
will add to know for sure
How to tell if your Mini Cooper is a JCW?

To check this, the best method is disconnect the battery, remove the ecu cover to the right of the airbox, and carefully remove the ECU, there will be a JCW sticker with a fitment date and fitting dealer attached to the ECU on the side or inside the plastic cover before you remove the ECU (See image of the sticker
below link explains better

·
Registered
12,728 Posts
you have all the answers then,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope not really

I don't know what exactly I don't know. I don't know what would be a good price to sell it or whether it is a Chili pack car, or whether there are options which are prized by the community
Thank you for your help

·
Registered
37 Posts
I mean it's well appointed and people desire the chili pack and the miles are low but it's not like you're sitting on some kind of rarity . You'll get top dollar for it probably but will be in the realm of mini cooper s money.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Realistically it isn't worth huge money and never will be. There is a false expectation (that has started in the last five years) that all cars are guaranteed to be worth a fortune when they are a certain age. Some car dealers trade on this expectation by referring to a car as a "guaranteed investment". They have no qualification or regulation (therefore right) at all to make that promise. it is just sales BS, getting someone to think they could get something for nothing.

I'd not take it into daily use though. It's better than that. Take this opportunity to enjoy the car and look after it well. It may not ever be worth more than your house, but it will be a fun thing to enjoy. A really good weekend and fun day car. That's it's true value!

·
Registered
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58 FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
1,333 Posts
maybe ebay it if you want to know, speculators galore will be happy to make up fictional numbers, low miles or not it's still old and can have all the same stuff wrong as a 100k car, it's a sunroof car which will always be worth less, if it hasn't many options and is a pre facelift model if too early for a JCW, and isn't a JCW, it really is down to how it presents, not just on the shiny side, and not just down to mileage,

get under it and post all the meaningful pictures of a preserved floor or suspension and braking system, a dry motor, perfect interior, and all the other bits, or just expect an average value for an average car showing fewer miles, without clear images that's all it is, there are plenty like this, trading off low miles when the car isn't actually that great,

yours might prove exceptional, so not intending to offend, but this is the truth of it, they vary a lot, even my own I bought with 27k and it was leaking like a sieve, brakes and bushes not great, clutch heavy, all sorts to do, and it was only 8 then, the cost of doing this stuff 'nicely' with best quality parts is not cheap and few will bother,

I see all sorts, it could be a 20yr old car run for a lot of the time on low oil or never maintained properly (I say maintained instead of serviced deliberately), it may have a rotten cast iron engine block not immediately obvious to unsuspecting buyers from a lack of coolant changes or the wrong stuff put in, rotten lines or bushes, degraded parts for a number of reasons, equally it could be a gem but I'd never accept an online word for it without some supporting information, so for me no evidence of condition means no increased value which is no doubt what you're hoping for, most of the low milers have had little spent on them because owners view the lack of use as 'not required',

improving and preserving said condition of these things is where the money is, not in a polished turd which some cars are, they're being sold daily as vehicles that they're really not, full of cheap aftermarket option parts and sketchy versions of maintenance, jobs done cheaply and hurriedly, 'that'll do', although we always hope to find that there's a good one out there. People have very different ideas of 'nice' or 'condition' so will probably look at totally different things, shiny paint alone or mileage really isn't all there is to it, imo.

nice that it has the Chili pack, definitely worth less in my view without it ;O)

Reactions: stereodesign

·
Registered
Mini Cooper S 2004 54 plate, F56 Cooper S 64 plate.
140 Posts
The R53 might be worth more in the future when there are few left on the road, the problem is they made so many of them, and they do last quite well.

I still see plenty of Gen1 MINI's driving around, mostly Coopers, but a fair few R53, but can't remember when I last saw a Citroen Saxo VTS or any of the other rivals to the R53 back in the day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts