MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just went down to a local shop in vegas, and they quoted me for $450.00 for installation and said it would take all day, they said they had to remove all 4 engine mounts and lift the engine up to get to the supercharger pulley. I was just wondering if it would be cheaper to do it myself or if there is an easier way/someone has instructions that i could print out to show my shop. Thanks.

Justin

·
Trailer Trash
202 Posts
By far it will be cheaper to DIY; more photos here. Most vendors that sell pulleys also provide removal tool (clamp) rental. Some words of caution about half moon style pullers, they are a time saver because the belt tension assembly can stay in place, but if the SC pulley is one of the "stuck" type, there's a risk the pulley can become deformed during the extraction attempt necessitating the pulley be cut from the SC shaft. Do not use a duck bill/jaw style puller as an alternative to a dedicated clamp, the standard Eaton45 pulley is stamped steel and will deform. A bolt grip puller, to be used in combination with the correct clamp, can be obtained as a free tool loaner from major auto parts retailers like NAPA or AutoZone.

If you don't choose to DIY, and the price quoted was for labor only, it may be worth taking a drive to L.A., CA where labor is in the $150-$250 range.

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
I have done about 15 or so myself. It is not a hard process but what you were quoted is not far off (maybe a little high). It takes a good 3 hours to do (although I was down to about 2.5) and some special tools will help to make it a fast process. The Randy Webb process is what I use and it is pretty dead on with how to get it done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts