MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I may have found the ideal subwoofer-amp combination made by Infinity. It's really neat and sizes well with the boot space available.

My only issue is that to install it you are required to screw it to the metal base of the boot after removing the cloth/sponge interior. The cloth and sponge interior can be placed back with holes cut it it to fit around the feet of the subwoofer unit but it what's under the boot that bothers me.

Basically - Will I be drilling into anything if I drill through the base of the boot eg. fuel tank, cabling etc. ?

Has anybody else done this sort of thing before ?

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
How about trying to mount it with double sided sticy tape or velcro:confused:
i used Velcro on my big 12" sub in a huge base box & it didnt roll around or anything :) :)

·
Indecisive MINI Owner
473 Posts
I used velcro for CD changers and Amps and don't find it to be a problem! Try that with a sub before you get out the old Black and Decker. It's always a better install to screm them down, but you could always try smiffy's idea first!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Lets face it theres not a great deal of room in the boot so if enough velcro is put on the bottom i see no reason that its gona move......my amp denon DCA800 AND THE BOX ITS SREWED TO WITH THE 10" MBQuart in dont move and they havent got any velcro on the bottom (P.S thats my current car, not mini)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Is there any space under the rear seat?

Just a thought.

Dave

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
baldie said:
Is there any space under the rear seat?

Just a thought.

Dave
For what :confused: The mother-in-law :D :D :D :D :D

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Velcro / screws

Using velcro on an amp would be fine as this would give the added benfit of dampening vibration.

On the other hand, it would be better for the sub unit to be securly attached to the car to improve the resonance of bass. Also, with tight corners and stiff suspension it would probably roll around in the boot as it's a heavy piece of kit.

·
M2 Bapmaster
3,138 Posts
I've got the 10" vibe amp and sub combo and i've used sticky sided velcro to stick it down and it doesn't move then again it does only just fit in.

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So does that mean that you have the Infinity sub/amp unit ?
Does it sound good in comparison to other units you've heard ?

·
M2 Bapmaster
3,138 Posts
I don't have the infinity sub/amp the reason for my reply was basically just to say that you don't have to worry about the sub flying around if you use velcro as this doesn't occur.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
How about spending a little more cash & having a 'custom build' in the boot :confused: :D

·
Registered
186 Posts
I used to have an Infinity Sub 12" free air and it performed brilliantly (using a 200 watt Kenwood Amplifier)

At the moment ive got a 10" MB Quart Sub (Boxed) and a Denon DCA800 runnin on 1 channel and that too sounds superb

(reason for smallness was that i installed it under the dash...yes the dashboard...well passenger footwell / dashboard of my old car)

I find the MB Quart sub to be a spanking gorgeous sub and would buy one immediately if i needed one...plus its small size even when boxed (10 litres i think) means it would fit in a mini and still leave some room!!! :D

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Custom build

So if I went for a custom build (which I've only ever done in the past), do you think a box the whole width of the boot with two 10" subs would work ? ported at either end

Screw the amp onto the box and velcro the whole think down with about 2 square foot of velcro sticky stuff ?

Or are we talking about one smaller box on the left hand side and the amp velcroed to the boot floor too ?

Does size matter here - I mean i'm not using it to go shopping at tescos anyway...! - should i use the whole boot leaving enough airspace for resonance to build up ?

Many options really - trial and error.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts