MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 2004 Mini Cooper S R53. It did not come with a multi-function steering wheel (the one with the controls for volume, calls etc..), but I would like to install one.
I'm very handy when it comes to taking things apart, fixing and putting things back together. Very confident in wiring and electronics.
I just don't know where to start and need some advice.
My thinking is, I'd buy a second hand multi-function steering wheel, replace my current one, get the correct control wiring harness and feed it through the dash and to my stereo.
But does anyone have any idea on what correct cabling I need? Is this even possible?
Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Only one way to find out! Fit it all and see what happens.

I have a feeling this is tied in with cruise control (they were not available separately) which needs much more hardware. Not sure you can activate one on it's own, if at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only one way to find out! Fit it all and see what happens.

I have a feeling this is tied in with cruise control (they were not available separately) which needs much more hardware. Not sure you can activate one on it's own, if at all.
Thanks for the reply. I've been doing some more research and it does look possible. All I really want is a new steering wheel and the ability to increase/ decrease the volume on my stereo etc.. not bothered about cruise control.
I found a very old thread on this very forum (from 2008) about this and there is a chap from Lloyds blackpool mini who was selling harnesses and MFSW kits. I contacted him and he's going to email me some details.

·
0.1mpg (Miles per Grin)
281 Posts
This was an oft-asked question back when this site started. Many tried and some succeeded. I used to have a PDF of the instructions but am struggling to find it. If you dig deep enough, you will find plenty of threads on here and some may have links to the doc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts