MINI Cooper Forum banner

Instructions for replacing 2008 mini Cooper Gen 2 DOOR mirror

12K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  The Nun 
#1 · (Edited)
RECENTLY I PLACED TWO POSTS FOR ASSISTANCE IN REPLACING A NEAR SIDE DOOR MIRROR ON 2008 MINI COOPER CLUBMAN 2.
THE REPLIES ON "HOW" TURNED OUT TO BE NIL SO I PRESSED ON REGARDLESS.
HERE IS A BLOW BY BLOW ACOUNT WITH PART NUMBERS ON HOW TO REPLACE A 2008 MINI GEN 2 NEARSIDE DOOR MIRROR.

This Door mirror is nearside,heated glass,not power folding,car is UK RHD.

Fold mirror towards door,undo two allan bolts ease whole unit up and away from car removing wiring connection from lower casing (5 minutes)

AND THATS HOW LONG IT TAKES TO NICK YOUR GEN 2 MINI DOOR MIRROR!!!!

1.To dismantle mirror on or off car.,follow these instructions.

2. If on car start by disconnecting battery then removing shell from back of mirror do NOT use tools you as you WILL damage or break shell.There are posts on removal,but use thumbs to gently prise lower edge two clips loose ,then ease housing out of upper clip and place in safe place to prevent damage as it is fragile.

2. With shell removed the next step is to remove glass,remembering it has two heating leads attached.The glass is held in place on to the positioning motor by four small but strong clips.Some slight access to rear of glass is possible with shell removed but not much.Again its light finger pressure under edge to gently ease glass from clips,again I found starting at lower edge best bet,a wooden spatula can be used but Oh so gently.
With glass off remove two attached black wires.

3.Next step is to remove postioning motor in order to access wiring connector.
To do these remove three torque screws which can now be seen with glass removed.Motor can now be eased off mirror main housing and wiring connector removed.

4. You should now have free,the shell part number 505292.
Mirror gass pt.no:51162755625
Postioning motor pt. no:11066788313
The main housing pt. no:51162755637 will still be in place.

5.Remove THE two securing allan screws and remove main housing,REMOVE WIRING CONNECTION FROM BELOW UNIT.

6.Job done (time 30 mins)Replacement reverse of removal.

Hope this helps those who like me have suffered parking side swipes!!

My thanks to Chris at Woodmans 01253607600 who made it all possible,plus supplied parts well below local dealer prices!!

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Credit where credit is due...but like all things you attempt to help and there is always a critic..dont belive me ,try getting married!!!

OK! NOW read door for wing and all is revealed..now that wasnt hard was it????;)

IN Fact with a wave of my Magic wand it is now.......DONE!!!

MERRY CHRIMBO AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR,MAY YOUR WING AND DOOR STAY IN GOOD SHAPE!!!!!!

#8 ·
Hi
When removing a door mirror, after you swivel and remove the allen keys bolt, is there a nut inside the door that will fall away requiring you to remove the door trim to to replace.What do the allen bolts screw into ? Help appreciated, Thanks

#9 ·
They should screw into captive nuts in the door skin, if yours have dropped into the door then your nuts arent being held in situe.
Captive nuts can have a habit of displacing or shearing off if they have been overtightened in the past or they are tight when removing due to corrosion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.