MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been hit by a stinker by my insurance company, basically have 1 year 9 months No Claims discount on my Golf which i am trading in for a Cooper S which comes next week (yay!)

I have paid for the full year on the Golf which runs out in December. Can i get that transfered to my misses car as a full driver gain the NCB for the year and insure the mini on a 3 month temp cover?

then i will get my full 2 years NCB and and not waste the 9 months i have already accured?

would that work or am i living in dream land?

S

·
Mini Maniac
138 Posts
Would it not be easier to just transfer the insurance to the new mini and pay the difference - if there is one.

Thats all i did with mine. Then when you renew, you'll have the 2 years and the quote should go down a little.

·
MCS AB Owner! =D
325 Posts
Would it not be easier to just transfer the insurance to the new mini and pay the difference - if there is one.

Thats all i did with mine. Then when you renew, you'll have the 2 years and the quote should go down a little.
You cannot add 9 months + 3 months to get a year from two different companies and get one. Doesnt work that way. You have to fulfill the whole year with the single company. So unless you can continue on your current policy, you're stuffed.

The only think you can do is let the year run out on your Golf, even if you don't own the car. It may work out more in the short term to get temporary insurance, but at least you won't waste a year by cancelling 9 months into the policy. I had to do this for a month until my previous car I traded in came to the end of its policy so I could gain 2 years NCB. I lost out on a year also because I decided to take on a booster policy with Norwich Union with my very first car. Advise to anyone, it's not worth the saving!

Just a reminder, you don't get NCB in years and months, only years ;).

·
Mini Maniac
138 Posts
You cannot add 9 months + 3 months to get a year from two different companies and get one. Doesnt work that way. You have to fulfill the whole year with the single company.

I think you misunderstood me. I meant just change the car on the insurance from the golf to the mini. Not change insurance companies.

Anyway, I didn't realise they wouldn't insure you at all for the mini. I would let the insurance run on the golf and get the 2 years that way, like the other poster said.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts