MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

As I've said elsewhere, I could soon be a Cooper man but I'm petrified of the insurance costs, being 22 yrs old. I'm paying £1100/annum for a 1.2 Fiesta (98/99), as I only took my driving test in April. Am I looking at an insurance policy in excess of £2000, or :eek: even more?

Would really appreciate any similar-aged Cooper people to let me know what you're paying, and with whom.

Cheers

Will

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, this is just crazy. I've spent 2 days doing these online quote things, each one saying "Please call 0845..." - so that's what got me worried. I tried Directline, for the 4th time just now, and it's quote me £1100 for me! Bargain - and I've answered my own question :) Just need to save it somehow, and the small matter of actually getting a Mini... :)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
miniwilly said:
Well, this is just crazy. I've spent 2 days doing these online quote things, each one saying "Please call 0845..." - so that's what got me worried. I tried Directline, for the 4th time just now, and it's quote me £1100 for me! Bargain - and I've answered my own question :) Just need to save it somehow, and the small matter of actually getting a Mini... :)
haha nice one bruv :D

·
owt else is just traffic
1,462 Posts
I notice that you say you might be getting a cooper.If you haven't already ordered or found the one you definately want why not go for a nicely specced MINI ONE.Apart from the extra power which isn't really evident in everyday driving unless you are giving it some stick(tricky with all the speed cameras)you can have the same looks,same build quality and the same road presence for less money.Plus it means you can get more spec and your'e paying out less for the base model.I don't wish to offend cooper owners but i had a cooper on test for 24 hours and i didn't think it was that much quicker than the ONE (in my opinion)so instead i bought a ONE and i was so pleased, apart from the fact its black and a pain to keep clean, that iv'e got a face lift ONE on order,which is white(just got to sell this one).The insurance is decidedly cheaper on a ONE its only group 5 as opposed to 8 for the cooper.I know i'm 36 with full NCB but i was suprised that it only cost an extra £20 a year to insure than my old car an 800cc Daewoo Matiz which was half the price of the MINI.Just a suggestion......

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestion. I had thought about a ONE but the clincher for me was driving the Cooper, and the fact my dealer has a few "available now." I know that's a useless, lazy excuse - but if I could have a cooper in 10 days as opposed to a ONE in 4 weeks, I'd have to go for the Coop!

Makes me sound well stupid does that

·
Registered
440 Posts
miniwilly said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I had thought about a ONE but the clincher for me was driving the Cooper, and the fact my dealer has a few "available now." I know that's a useless, lazy excuse - but if I could have a cooper in 10 days as opposed to a ONE in 4 weeks, I'd have to go for the Coop!

Makes me sound well stupid does that
I'm with you there, can't stand waiting for anything!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
£880...well that makes £1100 pretty fine for me, as that's on my own name.

I went round to our local storage depot, where all the new cars are kept before being driven to the local dealerships. Found the one I'm probably gonna buy - well, I found 2! One has gorgeous alloys, which I want, and another has less-nice looking ones. Could someone post a pic of their 17"ers?

Cheers

·
Registered
803 Posts
Im pretty pleased with my insurance, as only being 18 it is generally very steep. They also did not charge me extra for the induction kit! Check out my gallery for pics (click on the camera icon)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice gallery - like the black-on-grey stripes. I'm still hooked on IB for mine and want either black or white viper stripes and the aero-kit at a later stage. I like your Whalen, class.

·
MINI2 Sex God & etc......
1,106 Posts
As I haved said in the past try Churchill Insurance on 0800 200 300. you will have to be 21 or over - or have passed the pass plus if you get insured at 20. my insurance is £995 fully comp and i'm only 20 with a cooper.

·
MINI2 Sex God & etc......
1,106 Posts
I have done my pass plus so that is why they will insure me. If i didn't have that I would not be able to get insured unless I was 21.

have you had any mods put on to your car if so there may be a problem if you are under 21?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just turned 20, and got a cooper 2 weeks ago, high spec 04 model with Aero Kit and everything... looks stunning..

Anyway, this is my first car, first insurance under my own name, with pass plus certificate and its costing me £850ish...

Give Norwich Union a call, or try online.. i was very suprised by their pricing compared to the AA, RAC, Tescos and other companies... and their customer service is second to none in my opinion..

Rob

·
Registered
79 Posts
im 19 (3rd year of driving but been on mums incurance so no ncb) with a one and my premium i £1100/yr with elephant. Due for renewal soon so should plummet. i hope.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
9 Participants
devilsushi2000
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing