MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume that it is still too early - but has anyone gotten any info yet on the possible insurance rating(s) of the Cooper/S in the US??

·
Registered
86 Posts
No Insurance Quote in Canada either

Not that it is any consolation, I've been trying to get a quote up here in Toronto to no avail...and my "launch Cooper" is only 8 weeks away !

·
Retired and relaxed
2104 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i
5,372 Posts
I tried to get a quote last month from my insurance rep. No go. She says you need the VIN! Heck, can't give a vin if you don't own the car and sure as hell would like to know a ball-park figure. She figures once they are actually delivered to US terra firma she can quote it. Right now it didn't exist in her data base.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got a rough estimate from my insurance agent of $435.00 for six monthson a Cooper S but that by the time I am able to get one it may change.

·
puckstopper
4,260 Posts
I got a quote from Liberty Mutual, for a Cooper S they wanted about $1100 a year. I'm 28, no accidents ever, no tickets ever. I told them thanks but no thanks. Geico was a bit more reasonable, $416/6 months. And for what it's worth, the whiz kids at Geico had it listed in their system as:

Year: 2002
Make: BMW
Model: MINI Cooper S

Grrr. Oh well. Both quotes were for $100K/$300K Liability, Comprehensive $250 deduct, and Collision $250 deduct. I haven't been able to get a quote from anyone else; "A 2002 what?"

-Ricardo

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Re: No Insurance Quote in Canada either

nwoodiwiss said:
Not that it is any consolation, I've been trying to get a quote up here in Toronto to no avail...and my "launch Cooper" is only 8 weeks away !
Me neither. My insurance broker tells me that the "Vehicle Insurance Centre of Canada" or VICC, has not yet developed a "Canadian Loss Experience Automobile Rating", or CLEAR rating code for the MINI. They've promised to be in touch with us as soon as they hear. They've entered a partial quote in their computer, it should notify them when a CLEAR rating is available.

So I wrote to the VICC. They tell me that MINI Canada has not provided them with sufficient information as of yet to properly rate the vehicle. As with all CLEAR ratings, the rating is an estimate for a new vehicle, which gets refined as the history of the vehicle is developed. But with no info to base an estimate on, no CLEAR rating.

Now, the bad news: Without a standard CLEAR rating, you might as well be insuring a heavily customized car. Each insurance company will likely just take certain simple figures, size, weight, power, value, desireability, and make their own guess. Ever ask someone what a heavily customized Civic with 160 HP, 10K added value, and a heap of desireability costs to insure? It's bad.

Without knowing that the car is very safe for it's size, or quite theft resistant with the immobilizer, etc... Your insurance company isn't going to look to kindly towards a rare, 160 HP pocket rocket.

I thank god I'm over 25 with a 5-star rating and no claims. It's going to be more expensive than I pay now, no doubt. But if I wanted cheap, I would keep our crappy Sunfire and not drop the $30K CDN on a Cooper S. Sometimes your dreams stretch your pocket book (or credit).

·
Registered
31 Posts
my insurance lady said she'd have to call me back after the whole "A mini what???" I said it has an outside chance it might be written under BMW

So she calls back with "Well I got a quote for you, it's $2200/yr." OUCH!!! She said "And it was listed as a 2002 BMW M coupe":rolleyes: :p :rolleyes: :p

·
Registered
930 Posts
We need VIN numbers before they can give us anything concrete. Any other figure is merely an (possibly bad) estimate....

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Canadian Insurance Rating Soon Come...

FYI, RBC Insurance is on the case...I'm told that we may have an insurance rating next week...I'll let you all know as soon as I hear....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts