MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
This post is purely for speculation purposes which i am considering after getting my license. i am currently taking lessons and so have a way to go before actually buying a car but i thought there's no harm in trying to find out the costs involved, especially the insurance. im 22 years old btw.

I have an idea of what i want:
Cooper with jcw bodykit and the jcw R105 wheels. i would estimate the value of the vehicle with these fittings in the region of maybe £10,500-£12,000 ( correct me if i'm wrong)

when i do pass i would have had the license for only a few months when buying the car and obviously with 0 NCB.

my question: is there any possibility of me getting insured on a car like this especially considering my inexperience and the value of the vehicle/engine size etc etc...

i have tried a few insurance comparison sites and have been using a MINI vehicle value of £7-8,000 and have come back with cheapest quotes in the region of £3200 upwards. however, i have read other members saying they are also younger than me with little experience and getting insured on Cooper S/JCW's so am i missing something completely???

so basically i am asking if its possible for me to get insured on the vehicle description given along with the price ( or even a MINI One with the said mods) and where the best place to get lower quotes is.....or am i just dreaming and should settle for another manufacturer( which i dont want to do lol!)

any help/info would be great. thanks

·
MINIac
90 Posts
You will get insured on a MINI without problem, I got insured on a brand new Mini one at 23, value 15k,

I would probably go for a One, with JCW body kit etc, but not the performance.

Avoid the temptation to "front" and go on as named driver with a more experienced driving down as the main driver, apart from being illegal you're only delaying the inevitable. It's costly to get started whenever you do it.

Get a small engine, drive sensibly build your no-claims, then reap the benefits when you've got a bit of a bonus going.

Stick with confused.com for getting a good idea of the market.

But expect to be paying probably 1500 at least I'd say. Factor this into the cost of the car.

·
settling in nicely
246 Posts
why don't you phone up some insurance companies for test quotes based on having a full licence? we can't really speculate as it's not just age and car type taken in to car insurance quotes, they can vary dramatically with where you park the car at night, what you do for a living and all sorts of things. if you flick through threads here you'll see insurers recommended for young drivers and/or modded cars (which are not usually on the price comparison sites). Try adrian flux and greenlight - price comparison sites aren't always all that helpful especially if you have a non standard car

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Also, things like the JCW body kit and alloys will be classed as modications, so you have to declare them if you want your insurance to be 'proper', and you'll find a lot of insurers wont cover under 25's with mods ;) I found this out the hard way, thanks to MINI basically voiding my insurance when it came to just before renewal, coz of the spoiler on my ONE (which they knew about :rolleyes:)

My first years insurance on an 02 ONE with no mods was £1200, I was 18 with no NCB at the time, ive had another ONE and a Cooper D since then, and now got a new Cooper S at 22 which with 3 years NCB is £900 :) As others have said, insurance varies greatly from area/circumstances etc :)

Putting your parents on your insurance as named drivers (dont put yourself on their policy as a named driver and then go and be the main driver :rolleyes: Thats call fronting..) may make it a bit cheaper, depending on their circumstances.

Why not go for a ONE for starters, you can always chip it later on if you want more oomph ;)

·
Registered
154 Posts
wen i got my mini i was having a similar problem, was 22 no driving experience and had just bought a mini cooper. i rang around and the best place i found was with the insurance brokers called Aquote.

What i did was get my dad as the policy holder with more than 6 years no claims, added me as a named driver and the price i got was about 900 quid for both of us fully comp.

This year had to change again. rang aound and ppl were quoting me 1500-2000 pounds for insurance. tried every possibilty, ie my dad with no claims discount, me as policy holder with no no claim discount. The best thing i found was admiral coming through at 900 quid as me as the policy holder (good meaning i can now build my no claims discount) and my dad as a named driver with no no claims discount. Found that throught gocompare.com

good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts