MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my deposit down for the S! but i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas about what insurance group the S will be in the uk?:confused: :(

·
Registered
210 Posts
I spoke with my dealer this morning for the first time since ordering the car way back in July, by a massive coincidence they had just received all their literature and posted it on yesterday. Spawny toe rag wasn't allowed to say if he'd had I go - so I asked i'm if it we're good and he said 'AWESOME CAR!'.

Incidentally i asked out ofr curiosity and there are 27 on the list at Huddersfield (Almondbury Garages) so if you wanna be numero 28 don't wait up :)

I can't wait to collect it in my 1071 'S' - thats if the bleedin thing is restored in time - engine, bodyshell and suspension are complete but now its all the faffy detail.

I can't wait another 5 months !!!!!!
3rd on List in Huddersfield.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Re: Insurance for Cooper S & S Works

As well as the insurance group for the Cooper S, does anyone have any ideas about the one for the S Works?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm going to take a wild, stab-in-the-dark guess here.

The Cooper S will be group 14 (though it could be higher - hopefully not).

Works Cooper S will be around group 21 - or else the insurers will just call it "modified" and screw you royally. And insuring a modified car ain't a pleasant experience ...

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've also heard that it is going to be group 14, not sure if that's good or bad for me as I really can't remember what group my current car is in!

·
MINIstry of Fun
1,561 Posts
What about MINI insurance, i.e. the one provided by BMW specifically for MINI.

Australia has no details yet, what about Euro/UK members?

Is it competitive, does it cover water coming in through the grille/bonnet scoop and destroying the engine?

·
Registered
573 Posts
I hope the insurance is quite low for it's class like the Cooper insurance.
This supposed 40% price hike in insurance quote since the 11th September may well cause me to sweat a bit!

Well, I suppose, If I am gonna make my bed, I will just have to lie in it.

Andy

·
Registered
546 Posts
Water ingestion

eltel said:
What about MINI insurance...does it cover water coming in through the grille/bonnet scoop and destroying the engine?
All UK comprehensive policies will cover this, unless you've been so grossly negligent or reckless that you've clearly invited the damage (i.e. driven it into a river).

Claims for such incidents are quite common, especially with diesels.

Fords are not more especially prone to the problem, although they are frequently the cause. :D

·
Registered
330 Posts
MINI insurance

eltel said:
What about MINI insurance, i.e. the one provided by BMW specifically for MINI.
There are some posts about this in other threads (sorry, can't remember whereabouts so you'll have to hunt :D ).

Apparently competitive quotes over the phone seem to have mysteriously increased in price by the time you receive your credit card statement. By that point they've got the money and there's s*d all you can do about it.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Has anyone here actually had any experience of the BMW MINI insurance?

Was it cheaper than other quotes? (I would imagine it would be cheaper for them to insure cars they sell).

Andy

·
Registered
123 Posts
The MINI Insurance seemed to be very expensive. I had quotes of £2000 for the ONE and £3000 for the Cooper, and this was with 1 years no claims discount. In the end I payed £1100 to insure my ONE.

·
Registered
65 Posts
batemano said:
The MINI Insurance seemed to be very expensive. I had quotes of £2000 for the ONE and £3000 for the Cooper, and this was with 1 years no claims discount. In the end I payed £1100 to insure my ONE.
Who was the insurer? Just wondering for future reference as I'll have no no-claims when my Cooper S arrives due to driving company cars for the last three years.

Also if anyone else has any top tips for insurance then feel free to let me know!

·
Registered
235 Posts
The insurance group on the Cooper seems to vary - although officially an 8, Esure (who I notice advertise on this site) rate it as a 10, quoting that this has come from the ABI. When I tell them they're wrong, they just start waffling. At the end of the day though their group 10 rates may be lower than other group 8 rates, so I'll have to wait and see.

1963_1071_Cooper_S - how do you rate Almondbury? I think I get on well with them, but not sure it'll be the same once I've handed my money over. Can't be as bad as a certain Rover dealership I could mention though.....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Llama said:

Who was the insurer? Just wondering for future reference as I'll have no no-claims when my Cooper S arrives due to driving company cars for the last three years.

Also if anyone else has any top tips for insurance then feel free to let me know!
I was insured through The Insurance Shop at my local Asda. I think it is underwritten by Churchills.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I used Endsleigh 17-40 insurance for my current car, so did my brother, we both managed to get them to match the price that Elephant.co.uk were offering, they are very open to a bit of haggling and are underwritten by Pinnacle Insurance.

I am dreading my quote, I am 23 with no no claims bonus (1/2 way through my 1st year on my own insurance!) But hey, I want the car soo much, oh well Sh*t happens!

And

·
Registered
186 Posts
No claims discounts dont seem to make much difference these days

Its just a matter of hunting around that gets it cheaper...from past experience dealer insurance ie MINI will be higher....mercedes own insurance was twice the price of current value

·
Registered
65 Posts
An_S_4_Me said:
I used Endsleigh 17-40 insurance for my current car, so did my brother, we both managed to get them to match the price that Elephant.co.uk were offering, they are very open to a bit of haggling and are underwritten by Pinnacle Insurance.

I am dreading my quote, I am 23 with no no claims bonus (1/2 way through my 1st year on my own insurance!) But hey, I want the car soo much, oh well Sh*t happens!

And
Elephant are cheap but in my opinion only seem worth getting a cheap quote from in order to get a price match off someone else, 'Internet only' insurance seems dodgey to me especially when you have to fork out 60p a min on the phone if you want to call them! This in combination with the fact that the site was dreadfully slow didn't inspire me too much if I ever had to make a claim.

Don't worry too much about that, at 23 I the best price that I got for insurance was just over £1400 on an Elise 111s with no no-claims.

Make sure you let me know if you get a mega cheap quote for an S though as I'll only just be when mine arrives (assuming that it actually turns up this year! ;) )

·
Registered
573 Posts
Cheers Llama, makes me feel a bit better, I can afford the car but the insurance is the only sticking point, if I have to go back ad live at home, then so be it!

I am going to use Elephant as my bargaining chip again, their excess is £250 voluntary plus £250 fixed excess. whereas my Endsleigh insurance is only £250 excess.

P.S. Who did you get your Elise insurance quote from?

Andy

·
Registered
65 Posts
An_S_4_Me said:
Cheers Llama, makes me feel a bit better

P.S. Who did you get your Elise insurance quote from?

Andy
Andy, was from Elephant as well, looks like we are both in the same boat, buying a car and probably going to get stung on insurance!

The slightly annoying thing is that its hard even to guess what you are going to have to fork out for insurance as no-one has a clue yet about the Cooper S at the insurance companies.

Was the Cooper S listed on Elephant or did you pick a similar car for a quote?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts