MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
MCS & Cobra 427
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All,
Thought I'd share with you some interesting stuff as I've been on an online car insurance configurator to insure my new car.

I'm ordering a Cooper S from new with a JCW Aero kit on it plus Chili pack. My occuaption can be interpreted in a number of ways, as can the config. of the new car, so I tried a few things on the online calculator. Prices were as follows from Admiral :

Main Occupation

consultant engineer £ 590.60
business consultant £ 590.60
head of marketing £ 590.60
adviser £ 590.60
senior executive- industry £ 590.60
senior engineer £ 622.10
engineer £ 622.10
consultant £ 635.75
management consultant £ 635.75
company director £ 668.30
marketing manager £ 702.00
retired £ 728.00
unemployed £ 795.00
Now, going to Bell insurance (always came up cheaper on the internet search engines & co-incidentally an Admiral company)

consultant - engineer £ 490.85
business consultant £ 490.85
senior executive industry £ 490.85
senior executive qualified £ 490.85
Engineer £ 517.10
consultant - engineer £ 519.20

So a £100 saving here from the same company even though it uses the same configurator.

Next, adding my girlfriend who is 1 year older and will never drive the car :

My quote alone £ 490.85
secretary, clerical £ 479.30
secretary, pa £ 479.30
compliance officer £ 479.30
personal assistant £ 479.30
office worker £ 483.50
recruitment worker £ 496.30
office manager £ 520.30
unemployed £ 525.50

So it pays to add your partner to the insurance & tell them she's (he's) a secretary of some form but not an office worker or definitely not an office manager. If s/he's unemployed, don't let her near the car :wink:

Now for the modifications & specifiying the car. Valued at £22K, CooperS + Chili + JCW Aero plus a few extras (eg sunroof, stripes, sports suspension) :

specifiying it as a Cooper S Chili + bodykit mod: £ 479.30
specifying it as Cooper S + bodykit + chili pack mods £ 495.05
specifying it as a Cooper JCW (2004 ->) + chili pack £ 468.80 (go figure !)

modifications :

Alloys + £5
Exterior decorative changes + £15
Uprated brakes + £15
Darkened windows + £22.50
Upgraded air filter + £22.50
10% BHP increase + £22.50

So, all in all, it pays to mess around with the insurance configurators.
Putting go-faster stripes on the car increases the insurance premium by 5%, and you're better off chipping it to make it go faster .
And if you have an unemployed girlfriend/boyfriend, spend the money on a JCW works upgrade kit and save yourself a packet !

Cheers

Dave

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Of course, don't ever tell a porkie pie to your insurance company - the calls you make and the information you give over the phone is recorded, and if a claim arose, they could invalidate your policy ;)

·
Registered
193 Posts
The thing that annoys me (well, my missus as she sorts out hte insurance) is that most companies offer discounts to new customers, but not existing.

Every year we get a renewal through the post and it's a good £150 more than we are paying now.

Get a quote online as a new customer and it's about the same - if not a little less.

So every year, we get a quote online and then phone up to get that price instead of the ridiculous price they want to charge us.

This is with Elephant (been with for 5+ years) but I assume it works with others.

·
MCS & Cobra 427
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Of course, don't ever tell a porkie pie to your insurance company - the calls you make and the information you give over the phone is recorded, and if a claim arose, they could invalidate your policy ;)
Absolutely agree - the point was that you can "configure" the insurance configurators to show the correct information in a number of different ways but still get completely different prices.

·
XR3i / JCW MCS
543 Posts
it does I do it every year as well normally knock £100 off the renewal:D

certain occupations do get heavily penalised, I work predominantly for the construction industry which gets badly stung but as an environmental consultant i don't get the bigger premiums engineers etc get

·
Registered
69 Posts
I full agree with all the points above. I used to work for a large car insurance company, and some of the lies I heard were unbelievable but the whole insurance contract is set up in utmost good faith.

All the best.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cheap Mini Car Insurance

Hi

I have always used Homeapproved Mini Car Insurance to obtain a new quote for my Mini Cooper.

Give them a try and see if they can get you a great deal.

Dave

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've used A-Plan insurance brokers in Hall Green, Birmingham (0121 7336999) for a couple of years now.
They have always found me a cheaper quote than I can find and come renewal time, they do their best to keep your business.

Worth a call - friendly bunch too!

MIB

·
I'm a goofy goober
2,545 Posts
HI All,
Thought I'd share with you some interesting stuff as I've been on an online car insurance configurator to insure my new car.

I'm ordering a Cooper S from new with a JCW Aero kit on it plus Chili pack. My occuaption can be interpreted in a number of ways, as can the config. of the new car, so I tried a few things on the online calculator. Prices were as follows from Admiral :

Main Occupation

consultant engineer £ 590.60
business consultant £ 590.60
head of marketing £ 590.60
adviser £ 590.60
senior executive- industry £ 590.60
senior engineer £ 622.10
engineer £ 622.10
consultant £ 635.75
management consultant £ 635.75
company director £ 668.30
marketing manager £ 702.00
[SIZE=2]retired[/SIZE] £ 728.00
unemployed £ 795.00
Now, going to Bell insurance (always came up cheaper on the internet search engines & co-incidentally an Admiral company)

Dave

Absolutely agree - the point was that you can "configure" the insurance configurators to show the correct information in a number of different ways but still get completely different prices.
well firstly you either are or aren't employed ? (retired/unemployed) :confused:

secondly, any potential use will always be a factor, as insurers take into consideration how the car is to be used in connection with that job. i am not surprised the top 5 are the same as these are all primarily admin roles.

engineer and senior engineer infers, potential use between locations ;):D

the more use, the more risk....................the more risk, the more premium :p

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have just discovered that swift sure wont update my policy as i have Braided hoses, a JCW Strus brace, Lowered, and now want to fit a Milltec Exhaust and Alta Air filter to a Gen 2 Cooper S.
Seems that at 53 i cant be trusted with the extra power.
can anyone advise on a good insurance company that will allow these upgrades?

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
Just let me point something out.

I spend a year looking forward to getting rid of Admiral. They charged me extra for factory optional extras and in the event of a valuation their added value would not be taken into account. Basically the payout would be that of a base model.

People keep banging on about "CHEAPER CAR INSURANCE!" on forums, internet sites, TV, pubs, work etc etc. I'm sick of hearing about cheaper car insurance all I want is proper car insurance!!

Incidentally I pay just £440 on a highly modded mcs (all of which is declared, covered and is added as value) and I'm 26 :)

·
w' all the toys..
891 Posts
Try Adrian Flux. :smile:
Adrian Flux are great..
I have a heavily optioned S with business use - the spec of the car is signed off on as is my occupation (Music Industry - an instant "No!!!" with many companies) and I pay aprox £600.00 a year in London.

I'm actually now looking to change my home and contents insurance over to them as well.

Even a small white lie will give your insurer the opportunity to deny a claim - worth remembering they employ people who's sole job is to find ways not to pay out........and they love using the concept of "interpretation" to their advantage..

A few £'s saved on a premium may cost you big time in the long run - just not worth the risk IMO.

·
Registered
54 Posts
bell insurance is really rock.

use the tips in this tread. and now i save 252 pounds compare to the gocompare and monysupermarket. :p

·
Registered
10 Posts
Insurance

I have now got insurance through Adrian Flux, all original mods included plus can now add mods without an increase in policy costs. By the way got my insurance for £550.:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've found these the best places to use generally, especially once modded;

Adrian Flux
Greenlight
Chris Knott
A-Plan
Elephant

Once of those will be your top quote probably.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've used A-Plan insurance brokers .They have always found me a cheaper quote than I can find and come renewal time, they do their best to keep your business.

·
Golf to Mini Transfer
4 Posts
Your Job Title Matters

As an avionic engineer in the aerospace industry, giving insurance companies my 'proper' job title (Reliability & Maintainability Engineer) confuses them, as it does not appear in their database. Therefore, they tend to show me as a 'design' engineer - which I am, but not in the sense they are thinking of i.e. I do not design aircraft, I influence the design by identifying potential reliability or maintainability issues that will cost operators time or money.

However, my the major aspect of my job is to actually to gather, analysis and present data to use in identifying potential failures and maintenance issues. Therefore I could equally be described as a 'Data Analyst' and as I actually manage the database, I could be a 'Data Administrator', both of which can then be combined with 'Aerospace Industry' to give a factual description of my role.

Using the insurance company descriptor usually provides a premium of £400 p.a. fully comprehensive, minimal excess, and with business use. Using my alternative descriptions, the same insurance criteria results in a premium at least £100 less with less compulsory excess amounts too.

So next time you renew your insurance, check if changing job description to something more generic (but still factual) results in a lower premium.

Keep 'em rubber side down!

·
Sour Mash
1,287 Posts
As an avionic engineer in the aerospace industry, giving insurance companies my 'proper' job title (Reliability & Maintainability Engineer) confuses them, as it does not appear in their database. Therefore, they tend to show me as a 'design' engineer - which I am, but not in the sense they are thinking of i.e. I do not design aircraft, I influence the design by identifying potential reliability or maintainability issues that will cost operators time or money.

However, my the major aspect of my job is to actually to gather, analysis and present data to use in identifying potential failures and maintenance issues. Therefore I could equally be described as a 'Data Analyst' and as I actually manage the database, I could be a 'Data Administrator', both of which can then be combined with 'Aerospace Industry' to give a factual description of my role.

Using the insurance company descriptor usually provides a premium of £400 p.a. fully comprehensive, minimal excess, and with business use. Using my alternative descriptions, the same insurance criteria results in a premium at least £100 less with less compulsory excess amounts too.

So next time you renew your insurance, check if changing job description to something more generic (but still factual) results in a lower premium.

Keep 'em rubber side down!
Very similar to my experiences

Also found some seem to have different prices if you are employed or self employed, depending on your job you could say either

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
21 Participants
Jackdaniel
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing