MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting drive home, loving the MCS!

first post on here!

Had a R56 Cooper s in Black for nearly 9 months now and am extremely impressed. Have it as a company car after trading un my tweaked Clio 172 Cup (a little nutter!).

Love the ride on motorways and the big little car feel but more than anything the punch above 60+ mph.

Something that was epitomised driving home from Leeds to Harrogate, which is a great road.

Was in a hurry to get home after working late and noticed what I took to be a 5 series Beemer following along in my wake. Was a mixture of roundabouts and wide country a roads seemed to be a match upto about 50 but pulled away above that speed. Had a really good drive (which sounds nerdy and sad!) with this other chap as we both hustled through the dozey 43mph’ers. As I turned off to my house the chap flashed and as he went by noticed it was a Type R 54 plate (the Clio’s arch rival!) so was well chuffed that the mini was able to pull clear of a decent motor like this (not the new Tuype R which is a let down!)

Although not as vicious below 60 as the 172 cup, the MCS has real grunt. This may also be to do with my boss poverty speccing it without air con and the interior lights so a little lighter??

Anyway after not being too impressed by the supercharged S, this feels like a proper little hot hatch and up there with the Real Kings of Hot hatches the 205 GTI and the Clio Sport Cups.

·
Boosted
480 Posts
You mean the people that wasn't racing on a public highway :rolleyes:

Think you need to look into the rules of this forum ;)
Hustling is hardly racing and it may of been a 60 or a 50. Mind you i take it all back if it was a 40 or below. :(

Welcome to the forum Lil Black Minster and im glad your enjoying your Cooper S! :D Welcome to the club. :cool:

·
Wanted an Audi
2,105 Posts
Calling people dozey who don't drive at the maximum aloud is a bit harsh.

The fact he said he could pull away from a type r suggests he was racing.

·
Crakle and pop!!
438 Posts
If they are the 43mphers that go that speed everywhere including 30's, they deserve to be shot. Not adjusting to the chaging road and speed limits (30's etc) is more dangerous than doing 60 in a 60 and 30 in a 30. Not that i am condoning racing of course :) I have just bought a 58 s and i am also loving it, although i seem to be going slower (not 43 though :) ) as i am getting 42 mpg. Awesome!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hustling is hardly racing and it may of been a 60 or a 50. Mind you i take it all back if it was a 40 or below. :(

Welcome to the forum Lil Black Minster and im glad your enjoying your Cooper S! :D Welcome to the club. :cool:
Having driven this road many times in the past, I can say that for about 80% of it it's a 60 zone. I also know what he means about 43 mph'ers. This road seems to get a lot of people, many of which are 4x4's, driving along at well below the speed limit. It's not a thin and dangerously windy road, so there is really no excuse to drive that slowly. I too used to 'hustle' past these people, although I prefer to call it overtaking to avoid anybody misunderstanding what I am saying, and yes, I will have gone above the speed limit whilst doing this (it's the safest way of overtaking). What I don't understand is why people should suddenly come down all high and mighty about someone who may or may not have broken the speed limit. Has nobody on this forum broken the speed limit?

·
Wanted an Audi
2,105 Posts
If you have to break the spead limit to over take "safeley", should you be overtaking?

I dont brake the spead limit and if I did I wouldnt be posting it on a public forum;)

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
If you have to break the spead limit to over take "safeley", should you be overtaking?

I dont brake the spead limit and if I did I wouldnt be posting it on a public forum;)
Same question might apply if you find yourself behind a slow-moving tractor and on a road with a double-white line - you may be able to see it's perfeclty clear and safe to overtake, but legally you should not cross the solid lines..........;)

·
Wanted an Audi
2,105 Posts
Same question might apply if you find yourself behind a slow-moving tractor and on a road with a double-white line - you may be able to see it's perfeclty clear and safe to overtake, but legally you should not cross the solid lines..........;)
Simple, dont brake the law, the lines are there for a reason.

·
Making it add up
847 Posts
Sometimes it is OK to cross double white lines such as when passing a horse or a cyclist, but I don't think a tractor is acceptable.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Providing it is safe to overtake a vehicle travelling below the legal limit, and exceeding the limit in order to execute as rapidly as possible is common sense. That's my opinion for what it's worth.

·
Boosted
480 Posts
Common sense is worthless these days. The government even issues guidelines on how to keep pets! Its all gone wrong if you ask me.

·
Banned
305 Posts
I don't condone speeding! But have to agree there are far too many self appointed SPEED SHERIFFS holding the roads up well below governing road speed limits these days!!:angry:

Bring on the age of auto regulated speed control via satelites!! We def got the tech to do it now!:aargh:

Will sell my MCS well before this happens!:biggrin:

·
SimonSJR
263 Posts
Get in there son!!!!! Give those type R's hell!!!! I held a new one off last week, even managed to open up a slight gap, and it was flat out..... (this was on a private race track ;) )

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry to court such controversy on my first post!!!

Firstly on 30 or 40mph roads I find people who speed are numptys. On 60 mph roads, with which you have a clear sight of line in front in order to over take what is the problem as long as it is within good sense?????

Tell me Popey, have you never been over the speed limit ever???? If not why buy a MCS Works? I take it it wasn’t for the ‘thrill of driving’ a la ‘Evo’ style? Was it as a status symbol? I shouldn’t presume you are one of those infuriating types who flash people when you have been overtaken doing the mandatory 43 in a 60? I would give you more of a benefit of doubt than you have thus shown me by not bracketing you with those folk who carry on doing 43 through a 30. You would never speed of course.

As someone who drives 20k a year, with a CLEAN licence and a full no claims insurance I actually put more care and attentiveness into my driving than the average folk who seems to treat driving as another chore like their ironing, just that they are doing 43mph in a tone tin can.

I practice my right to overtake fools too scared or, more to the point, too brain dead to overtake slow moving traffic. If that means going over the speed limit on an A road, in the countryside in dry conditions with good visibility then so be it. I will be safe in the knowledge I am not in fact CAUSING congestion by adding to the long line of automotive lemmings self righteously snaking their merry way across the country.

Although I suspect this is what New Labour and Ponzi Brown secretly want as part of a steady shift to control by fear, if you overtake or go over the speed limit you will fall off the edge of the Earth.

Edit - typo and to congratulate SJR for responsibly excercising his right to enjoy the 'Thrill of driving'......on the track of course!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
The point of owning a car that has good acceleration i.e. an MCS or other makes is because the power, if used safely and sensibly, can avoid accidents when overtaking. Whereas those with poor acceleration are very vulnerable.

I am not condoning exceeding speed limits, but on a number of occasions in the past having good acceleration has helped me avoid accidents due to other drivers recklessness. In other words " I have been able to drive away from trouble".

·
Life after MINI
424 Posts
The point of owning a car that has good acceleration i.e. an MCS or other makes is because the power, if used safely and sensibly, can avoid accidents when overtaking. Whereas those with poor acceleration are very vulnerable.

I am not condoning exceeding speed limits, but on a number of occasions in the past having good acceleration has helped me avoid accidents due to other drivers recklessness. In other words " I have been able to drive away from trouble".
In my own experience, having a car which can accelerate too fast is pretty dangerous too - you end up in situations where you are safely and legally overtaking a couple of cars, and then the numpty in front of you in his 1.6 litre Focus Zetec decides he wants to overtake too - usually without even looking or noticing that they themselves are in the process of being overtaken. A very dangerous situation which I have experienced a few times.

I certainly didn't think that being able to accelerate quickly had done me any favours those times, however, I was very glad indeed to have large grippy tyres and ventilated disk brakes all round - and of course, powerful cars have great tyres and brakes. :biggrin:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts