MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The interior light in the middle of the roof behind the seats is rattling like mad.

The lights and switches work fine and I can’t stop the rattle if I cup the unit while driving therefore it must be something loose inside.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Are they easy to remove to have a look inside?

Thanks, Mark.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha ha, thanks for the warning.

Think its ok, just something is rattling inside.

How do you remove them?

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Well mine is a 2nd Gen MINI, but I cant see the light is any different...

It was the plastic cover that tried to knock me out, and that just clips on/off...i'd try and clip it off and have a look, inside is the blub/bulb holder etc but not much else. Does the light work?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Everything works fine, don’t think it’s the cover because if I cup it as I drive along it still rattles, it’s definitely something inside.

·
Registered
316 Posts
SUNROOF RATTLE fix needed :)

Hi
I have the same problem too, apparently it is to do with temprature as some components in the sunroof housing shrink in the cold.

I find the rattle very irritating lately, due to the outside temp!
I have tried so many methods to overcome this bug...yet to no avail!:frown:
What I did notice when driving home tonight after work I put the sunroof on tilt and the rattle has gone:biggrin:

Work so far:

-Fitted pading under sunroof refelctor
-Lithium white grease on all the fixings/mountings inside the sunroof compartment
-Oiled up sunroof chanels just for good measures
-Finally found putting sunroof on tilt...no rattles

If anybody can add input to a FIX this would I recon please hundreds of uk drivers this time of the year with the sunroof rattle

At worst I have heard it may need the sunroof-casete replacement...auch!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
The interior light in the middle of the roof behind the seats is rattling like mad.

The lights and switches work fine and I can’t stop the rattle if I cup the unit while driving therefore it must be something loose inside.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Are they easy to remove to have a look inside?

Thanks, Mark.
to open it up is easy, all you need to do it get a flat ended screw driver and stick it inbetween the surround and the clear casing, and pop the casing off, from there you should find the problem, the middle bulb it held in by prongs, it may be they have come loose and rattle, or it may be the two side lights, to get to them take the light complely by undoing the screws and it will come away, if i remember rightly the two side bulbs are twist ins it may be the holders have come loose.
or it could be somethin as simple as one of the screws have just came out.
hope this helps.

im not some MINI nerd btw ;) its just i had to take my light out to replace them with blue LEDs not to long ago :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don’t have a sunroof.

I don’t actually now think it’s the light, the car was in with Mini last week and they thought it was the alarm sensor ‘vent’ looking thing above the rear seats, they even put some tape on various bits inside to stop it squeaking – returned the car to me saying it had stopped and no surprise - it hasn’t!!.

It’s driving me mad!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts