MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie hear, please help.

I have a 52 MCS which I have owned since april.

Last week the alarm started going off and when I went to investigate the passenger side window was moving up and down slightly and making a clunking noise. I opened the window a little and this stopped the window movement but the alarm went off immediately. I then noticed that the interior light was staying on. I concluded that these things were happening due to the battery getting flat. Put car on charge and took it for a good long drive to put some life in to it. The interior lights (middle roof and footwell) continued to flash on and off throughout the 2 hour journey. Returned home and the problem with the alarm and lights continued until the battery ran flat.

Can anyone help please?:confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem!!!

Hi, I have the exact same problem with my MCS 52 plate. The alarm started to go off 2 nights ago (it hadn't been run for 3/4 days). When I got in the car the battery was flat. I called the rescue guys who recharged the battery for me however as I took the car for a run the rear passenger light kept turning on and off. Then when I returned home, the minute I went to lock the car, the alarm went off and would not turn off unless the car was left unlocked.
Hey ho...I disconnected the battery and today went to buy a new one, thinking this was the problem. But no that would be too simple. The alarm still went off when I locked the car after having the new battery fit. I again disconnected the battery and reconnected it and thought the problem was solved, I assumed this would have reset the system but about an hour later the alarm started going off again.
Excellent.
Did you get your problem resolved as any advice you could offer would be brilliant. I have only had the car for 2 months so far.

Thank you

·
Registered
13 Posts
I seem to have got the same problem on my '02 Cooper.

Went away on holiday. When I got back neighbours tell me the alarm had been going off, but just stopped. Battery was totally flat. I presumed the battery had just died so went and got a new one. Reconnected and did all the reset procedures with the windows and sunroof, all seemed fine. About two hours later alarm goes off. Go out to check the problem...the passenger window is going up and down about 1cm. Just like when you open the door and close it, just that small movement.

I disconnected the battery, then reconnected and did the reset procedure again. The passenger window will not play ball, the window just keeps moving that small amount, even with the window button held in the up position.

I presume this is what is setting off the alarm.

Have now disconnected the battery again and left it...all I can think of is a trip to the dealer...

Any ideas...?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Pre-2003 Minis................as stated above could be water in the BC1 (Body Control Module) electronics (very common this time of year) lots of information on this if you do a search on here. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well...had a search around...it sounds expensive, unless I can get to the unit myself and see what the score is.

Looked in the Haynes manual. When it talks about the body control unit (BC-1), it's in relation to central locking system components.

It also talks about a ZKE electronic module situated in the same place. The ZKE seems to control a whole host of functions, but the list doesn't contain electric windows. Is the BC-1 inside the ZKE or is it a totally seperate component...?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Well...had a search around...it sounds expensive, unless I can get to the unit myself and see what the score is.

Looked in the Haynes manual. When it talks about the body control unit (BC-1), it's in relation to central locking system components.

It also talks about a ZKE electronic module situated in the same place. The ZKE seems to control a whole host of functions, but the list doesn't contain electric windows. Is the BC-1 inside the ZKE or is it a totally seperate component...?

Thanks
The Haynes manual calls the BC1 the ZKE.........which seems to be the name for the unit on some other BMW cars.
Have a read of this thread below, it contains an old post of mine with all the BC1 connections listed which may help :)
http://www.mini2.com/forum/faults-fixes/133001-my-mini-alergic-wet.html

Also this thread for pics:-
http://www.mini2.com/forum/faults-fixes/165853-please-help-bc-unit-electrics-gone-haywire.html

If the BC1 is the problem, they often respond to drying out with a hairdryer and cleaning off any corrosion inside.

Also Reconditioned Exchange BC1 (Body Control Module) are now available from BBA-Reman £100-150 which is a lot less than a new replacement unit from BMW.

See Link Below:
http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/DetailedProduct.aspx?DetailedProduct=1414

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well...Just got the car back from the garage (not BMW dealer)...he plugged it in and found out the passenger door was the problem, faulty door lock!...He checked the BC1 and no water had got into it, it also had a plastic cover on it.

The mechanic said the damp getting into the locks is also quite common.

Hopefully, that's it all cured...(fingers crossed) just thought I'd let you know the outcome, as it was a bit unexpected.

Thanks for all the help...much appreciated!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts