MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the difference between the new Cooper S 2005 rear view mirror and the 2003 type? Are both auto dim?. I've been told there are some changes to the new 2005.

Reason is mine is having a replacement under warranty and I want to know which to have fitted.

·
No Steenkin Preevileeg
664 Posts
Z1GZAG N said:
Which means you see less out the windshield :confused:

Slightly, but not enough to be noticeable. The 05 RVMs were designed with the cabrio's blind spots in mind, and , I think, work quite well in the hatch. Jimbo

·
Registered
73 Posts
I haven't seen the old model rear view mirror, but the 05 model quite blocks out the left front view for me.
Mostly when I drive through the twisties. The view to the left side is blocked by the mirror. Sadly it cannot be adjusted high or low like some other designs. I'm 6 feet tall. Also the top of the rev gauge is also blocked by the steering wheel.

If the 04 model is smaller I would go for that. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
Strange - my rearview mirror blocks the view to the right ;)

Agree with you - when making a turn sometimes the mirror is a significant hindrance and I imagine the '05 one has to be worse since it is bigger. I guess it all depends how high you sit (I sit very high, with my head about 1" below the roof).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Strange - my rearview mirror blocks the view to the right
maybe country ?
but then hes from hong kong and ur from britan
arent they both on the ride side?

dont no im from canada and its left side for drivers

·
Registered
73 Posts
Tai10,

GBmini did put a smiley at the end of the sentence ;)

Anyway I drive on the left side you guy in Canada and USA on right side...

Hmmm... wondering if someone has retro fitted a 04RVM in a 05 model??

·
Registered
77 Posts
My '05 Cooper S RVM is big too, but doesn't bother me. I am a bit bothered by the top of the tack being cut off by the steering wheel. No big deal, it's just not as visible as it could be. It would be nice to have those lights that tell you when you're about to redline! Anyone make that for the Cooper S?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm currently driving an 03 MCS and an 05 MCS and I can tell you first hand that there is a HUGE difference between the rear view mirrors on the two cars. In the 03, the rear view mirror is so small that I have difficulty seeing with it. The 05 on the other hand is MUCH larger and MUCH easier to see out of. I'm sure that if I only had the 03 mirror without the 05 to compare it to that I wouldn't complain, but after driving the two cars back to back I can really tell a big difference and the 05 is a lot better (for me anway).

Note that the 03 has a self-dimming mirror and the 05 doesn't, so in that respect, the 03 is actually a better rear view mirror. However, I'd take the larger size of the 05 rear view mirror without the self-dimming feature over the smaller self-dimming 03 mirror any day (yes, it is that much better IMHO).

·
MINININININININI!
225 Posts
Since driving my MCS I have tended to use the wing mirrors more than in my other cars, maybe this is something to do with the RVM and the relationship to the whole size of the car....quite short!!

·
Registered
624 Posts
i used to have a 02MCS (without auto dimming) and now a 05mcs. (with dimming mirror)
i find that the 05 mirrors are much easier to see compare to the old ones. however without comparing i didn't have too much of a bad experiences with the 02 mirror . also the auto dimming mirror does work a lot better, no more blinding by truck drivers
:D didn't have that option available when i purchase my first car.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have an '05, which has the larger mirror. I autocross, so the mirror is nothing but a hinderance. I haven't looked at it very closely, but is there an easy way to remove the rearview mirror?

·
Registered
58 Posts
walexis said:
Tai10,

GBmini did put a smiley at the end of the sentence ;)

Anyway I drive on the left side you guy in Canada and USA on right side...

Hmmm... wondering if someone has retro fitted a 04RVM in a 05 model??
i'm actually thinking of putting in a 05 mirror into my 04 model. cos i find the one i have is too small...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts