MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Mini Clubman 2008 Diesel 113000 mainly motorway miles, well looked after car, regular services etc all in order.

Slight rattling noise on idle, it seems to come and go, it seem to disappear when i slightly apply throttle, and i mean slight....

Any ideas anyone please? Thought at first it was the timing belt, but the rattle can not be heard once the bonnet is up and within the engine comparment, you can only hear it once in the car, and it seems to come from the driver side as such!

Any thoughts please??

Regards,

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Sounds like it may be the air intake pipes. I have mine cable tied on my 2 Clubmans

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi SeanC,

Thanks for the reply.

Funny you say that, I've actually done that already, but the nose still comes and goes, is there any particular part of the pipes that you are aware of? It will not be the EGR valve by any chance would it?

Just for reference, i cable tied the pipe from air filter box to the one that connects to the Turbo together, and secured the actual air filter box also. It's funny how intermittent it is and how with a very slight touch on the acceleration peddle the noise goes away...!?

Regards,

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi mini0ne2002,

I did think of that, it's just the location the noise is coming from is clearly the engine compartment. And more strangely it can only be heard when inside the car...!

Am i right in thinking if it was the heat shield it would be coming from underneath the car etc?? Somebody suggested that it might be the timing belt tensioners etc, but the noise is an intermittent one and goes away with only a slight throttle applied, not to mention is clearly is a very tiny rattle as such.! it is like a tiny screw in a metal bucket jumping around with viberation is the best way i can describe it....

Regards,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi did you ever get to the bottom of this as my 50k 2013 mini is doing 100% the same thing
So annoying as it’s untraceable
Would love to hear a reply from you

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had the same on my 2011 cooper D.
It turned out to be the positive battery terminal cover .It was pushed back and touching the body work above .
Also the windscreen washer bottle was touching so I placed a piece of hi density rubber between it and the part it was rattling on.
All quite now .
J

1 - 7 of 7 Posts