MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I parked my car today I noticed that the oil light was on, so I immediately shut the engine off. I tried to measure the amount of oil, but the dipstick is pretty much useless, I filled half a liter and it looks like it reaches about the middle of the dipstick so it should be OK. I tried restarting the engine and noticed that the oil light is only on when idling, it shuts off when I touch the gas, and it also doesn't come on when the engine is cold.

I found several threads with the same issue and it seems to be the oil bypass valve right by the oil filter, but every thread I could find involved people changing oil and filter and then having the problem. With me it just suddenly started without any warning, do you think it is the same problem?

I am going to call my dealer next week and have them take a look at it, but I just wanted to hear how expensive you think it will be to fix.

BTW, the car is a 2002 MCS with 60k miles.

·
Registered
286 Posts
This can be an oil filter changed without replacing the center plastic core and spring (someday I'd like to meet the guy that engineered this brilliant filter), or installed upside down, a bad oil pressure sender , low oil level, a bad oil pump or a bad body processor unit which sends the data to the guage. I would check the oil filter first though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an appointment at the dealer on Monday, but I drove the car down to get it checked out (it's called MOT in England I believe) and the oil light seemed to be gone. But suddenly it came back, and now it seems to be permanently on, but I have driven probably 10 minutes with the light on and the engine still runs, so is it safe to assume its the sender thats the issue and not the oil pressure itself?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have exactly the same problem as what you had, happened first when i put an induction kit on my car, but then stopped after a couple i weeks, but now just had a service 2 and its doing it again, giving it a few days, then it going back to garage, the garage is aware of the problem and said give it a few days to settle down again,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts