MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My dealer seems to think that a vibrating internal rear view mirror is normal for a Cooper D, is this true?
Its not too bad at low speeds but unusable at 70 mph on a motorway, so I've got a lot better at using my side mirrors and I'm thinking of just covering it up.

I hate to think that I've just bought a car which can only be used on smooth roads

Tim

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi,
My dealer seems to think that a vibrating internal rear view mirror is normal for a Cooper D, is this true?
Its not too bad at low speeds but unusable at 70 mph on a motorway, so I've got a lot better at using my side mirrors and I'm thinking of just covering it up.

I hate to think that I've just bought a car which can only be used on smooth roads

Tim
I've noticed that about mine as well, although i've become used to it now. It will be interesting to know if it's only a problem with diesel cooper.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yep mines does this - at certain speeds it is unusable - mine tends to do it in a certain speed band and the only solution seems to be avoid this speed band.

·
Registered
651 Posts
what size wheels have you got?

Never had any probs with vibration at any speed in our Cooper D with 16" bridge and runflats

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have 16 Bridge Spoke alloys with Goodyear Excellence runflats (June 08 build) I also have universal remote control mirror with rain sensor and auto dim. The vibration happens on certain road surfaces at a speed of 60mph +/- 5 mph.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Sounds like some resonant frequency setting it off. Suprised this happens at speed though. A diesel engine is usually smooth once up and running.

Try changing tyre pressures to see if it changes at all.

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
I've got exactly the same problem!! Fine at low speeds- anything above roughly 50 mph is shocking! Mine is an August 2008 build with 15" wheels.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone who replied.

I've got 16" run flats with the auto dimming mirror.
From the replies it looks like the dealer may be right :frown:

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Dooper does the same and has the auto dim mirror...I was going to mention it next time I visited the dealers as just before we picked it up it had a new windscreen so I initially thought it was related to that...

Obviously not, must be a Dooper quirk haha!! :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
bit late but worth adding i think.

no vibrations at all at any speed. I do a lot of motorway miles most of which are slightly above legal :redface: with no vibrations in the rear view mirror.

For those who are experiencing vibrations to a point where it renders it unusable (or even slight vibrations) then that's a major safety issue if you ask me. No problems when i was using Dunlop runflats and no problems still with nankand ns2 normal tyres (off topic but if anyone is thinking that these tyres are cr*p because the low cost then you should reconsider.. damn good tyres for the money if you ask me!).

My Dooper has its niggles but this does add to the sizable hill of problems associated with this generation of MINI's.

·
VROOOOOOO.... pokpokpok
59 Posts
oooh I'm so happy to have found this topic. My brand-new Dooper (she's barely 3 weeks old) has the same issue. Funnily enough, this happens only at a certain speed range - between 110 and 118 km/h to be exact. Below and beyond that, I don't have this problem. So there must be some kind of resonance setting in at exactly this speed range. The vibrations don't render the mirror unusable but it still can be a safety issue.

·
Registered
267 Posts
My November 07 build Dooper (with 6,900 miles on it), 16" Bridges with Runflats - and the auto dim mirror doesn't vibrate. Well anymore, I noticed on my drive back from Robert Stern on the M5 when I picked it up that the mirror was vibrating. But it doesn't do it any more.

I find there are more vibrations with a diesel engine, but couldn't say there's an actual reason for the mirror vibrating (e,g wheels, auto dim etc)

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Ive currently got an 08 build Dooper running on std suspension and 15" alloys as a loan car, and the mirror vibrates really badly!

I was coming back home on the motorway yesterday and at 70mph it was impossible to look in the rear view mirror without it making me feel sick :rolleyes: As soon as you put your hand on it, it stops and you have a perfectly clear view not a fuzzy one!!

I don't remember my own Dooper doing this, or any other MINI ive driven for that matter.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts