MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the Dension Gateway 300 for my ipod which plays music fine but it always says CD Check on the head unit for some reason, I dont know why. It means you cant control it from the MFSW or the head unit.

I was thinking about getting an Intravee as I also have Nav and HK and a cd changer.

I understand you connect it through to the CD changer wiring. Is there a cubby in the boot where the HK amp is? Does the intravee and alpine ipod controller fit in the cubby too?

If so, can you wire the ipod through to the glove box still or does it have to sit in the boot? Would the miles of wiring mean that the sound quality reduces?

Cheers.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The Intravee connects to the CD Changer wiring. I guess maybe you have to remove the CDC to see the cubby where the HK amp is (my car just had prewiring so it was easy to spot) - it looks like the one on the left side of the boot, but it's on the right as you stand at the back of the car.

There is room in the cubby for the HK amp, the Intravee and the Alpine interface. Personally I have the iPod connector coming out of the cubby into the boot, but that's my preference as I have a 160GB Classic in a case (so the bulkiest of iPods) and the case came with a little nipple thing that I stuck to the boot side to hang it on. You'd probably be able to get a Classic/Video/Photo etc. in the cubby also and if you have a Nano I'd say you definitely could. Regardless it's a much less obtrusive solution than the factory CDC mounted in the corner of the boot.

I guess you could have the iPod in the glove box if you wanted to; you'd just need an Alpine CDC cable designed to run the length of the car to replace the shorter one that comes with the iPod interface, or possibly you could replace the BMW CDC cable with one directed to the glove box and fit the Intravee in that area also.

There are no sound issues with the cabling as standard (there's no reason it should be worse than the factory CDC after all), but obviously running a cable to the boot then back to the glove box at least introduces more risk of interference if you chose to do that. Having said that the Alpine CDC cable is a pretty substantial thing and I imagine it's pretty well screened as it's a product of arguably one of the best ICE manufacturers and it's designed for exactly what you'd want to do with it.

Back in the day when I had an ICE>Link Plus in my 5 series it used to whistle like the car had unsuppressed plugs - given that it was a diesel that wasn't the case though! The Intravee never had any interference issues and it beat the Dension to a pulp in every single respect.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I removed the CDC last night and fed the iBus and Audio cables back into the cubby in preparation for the intravee and alpine unit to arrive.

I have decided I want the ipod in the glovebox which will mean routing a wire from the back of the car to the front somehow. Has anyone done this and where are the wires fed?

I have ordered a 3.5m Ai extension cable in case. Will I be able to extend the ipod lead with that one or just the link between the intravee and the alpine unit? Im not sure what type of connection the dock cable has that goes into the alpine unit?

Or is there a solution where like Fen suggested where the CDC cables are behind the head unit not in the boot so Im not running cable to the boot and then another cable back again.

Cheers

·
Registered
158 Posts
You won't be able to extend the link between the iPod and the Alpine interface as it's a dedicated cable. From memory it's around 75cm long. The 3.5m Ai Net cable can move the Alpine interface away from the Intravee and I guess you might be bale to locate it above the glovebox so it's out of the way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts