MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is surely the clearest picture yet of the S's unique chrome fuel filler cap, but I was surprised to see that it doesn't appear to have any lock. Is that correct?

Can anyone easily:

1. steal the cap?
2. put nasty things in the fuel tank?
3. steal fuel?
4. all of the above?

Or is it something like a hinged cover with a lock underneath?

·
Registered
577 Posts
BruceK, I'll bet you think your friends call you names like "paranoid," and that they do it because they are against you. :D Seriously, I prefer a locking cap too. It is a safe bet that the filler is the same for the Cooper, so maybe some kind MINI owner could measure the opening and post it so you could see if a locking cap available locally would fit. MINI will probably offer one, but at a premium price. I don't recall seeing a lock on the flap on a Cooper, so I wonder if they have a locking cap inside. I doubt it. If gas prices go back up (and you know they will), we can expect to see people using a short piece of garden hose and siphoning gas from someone else's tank. Far worse is some jerk dumping moth crystals or sugar in the tank as a practical joke. Engine damage isn't funny.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KarmanS said:
BMWs have fuel filler caps that lock if the central locking of the car is activated. If MINI have adopted anything from BMW, hopefully they have that little feature as well (??)

:rolleyes:
That would be cool! :)

Just noticed, the speeding bullet shape on the fuel cap - - shouldn't it be facing the direction of travel? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
It must lock with the central locking system......BMW wouldn't be stupid enough to let someone run off with it !!!.......would they ?

·
Amiga 500 to PS3 20 Years
4,636 Posts
If it works the same as the standard filler cap then yes it locks with the Central locking.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OnlyS4me said:
Yes, it locks indeed with the central locking. You can see the mechanism in the same gallery now!! ;)
Man! Three pictures of the fuel filler (1 closed, two opened)! You're not just a little obsessed with the Cooper S (like me), are you? :D That chrome fuel cap cover with the massive hinge looks like a well engineered piece.

Thanks for solving the locking puzzle (in pictures :) ) and for the fully detailed photos of S at the Essen show. Wonderful.

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
Hmmm.. That is almost identical to the normal MINI filler cap setup except with a fake cap instead of a door.. I wonder if I could get the parts and fit it to my standard cooper...

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
monsta said:
Hmmm.. That is almost identical to the normal MINI filler cap setup except with a fake cap instead of a door.. I wonder if I could get the parts and fit it to my standard cooper...
Ahh... back to the title of this thread. Putting a S chrome fuel cap on a standard Cooper would be a little bit of mischief, won't it?

·
Registered
632 Posts
. . . . ugh!

Sorry but what`s the point, that`s really just a horrible piece of naff fakery - prefer the standard, or the `real thing`.

But I don`t expect many here will agree with me?

·
Amiga 500 to PS3 20 Years
4,636 Posts
I'd prefer an Aston cap rather than the Monza one they have on the S. It's a British car and they put an Italion style fuel filler on it. Stupid.

·
Registered
632 Posts
. . . an adornment

Ginge said:
. . . . . It's a British car and they put an Italion style fuel filler on it. Stupid.
Whether it`s Brit style or Italian style, it is (sadly) only a useless adornment and one which BMW wouldn`t dream of sticking on one of their `own`!

They know that there`s a world of difference between engineering and cosmetics but obviously consider the MINI brand to be fair game.

·
MINI2 Sponsor & Moderator
231 Posts
They could have saved their money on the fuel filler cap...and used it for an armrest!

·
Registered
632 Posts
. . . . I rest my case . . . .

MiniMoke said:
They could have saved their money on the fuel filler cap...and used it for an armrest!
At least that would have served some useful purpose . . . . . . . . . for some;) ;)

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: . . . . ugh!

Please tell me that the filler cap is made of real alloy, not chromed plastic. Please.

·
Registered
186 Posts
theres no way that even BMW would make a car without a lock of some variety on the petrol cap

and as for an italian style cap ...i thought u could get several styles of cap for the old minis and are we goin to be goin that slow that people will be able to see? :D

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Re: Re: . . . . ugh!

BruceK said:
Please tell me that the filler cap is made of real alloy, not chromed plastic. Please.
I hope not BruceK:eek:

They proudly mention the fact that it has a chrome petrol cap, surely they wouldn't draw attention to it if they were going to then go and make it of plastic:confused:

OnlyS4me....can you answer that?

Cheers

LMB:D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts