MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Sorry if these questions have been answered before but I have searched the forums and have not found any answers.

My wife just picked up her lovely new Clubman '58' plate today from the dealership today and we both love it but have come across a couple of problems:

1. When I connect my iPhone into the USB port in the centre console it is not recognised by as an USB device but if I try an iPod nano this works, how do I get my iPhone recognised so I can play music? I notice other readers have said this is possible using the USB port that comes with the Bluetooth option which we have..

2. I can also pair the iPhone with the standard bluetooth which we installed as an option but it does not pick up the contacts, again from reading other threads it seems others are not having this problem, any ideas? :confused:

Thanks

Graham

·
settling in nicely
246 Posts
what cable are you using to connec the ipods? only the official bmw/mini ipod lead works with the newest ipods... this is a Y-shaped cable that plugs into both the usb port and the aux in (and costs £40:( )

there is a thread about sweet talking dealers into giving you the Y-cable for free, but I wasn't successful/pushy enough!

No idea about the contacts i'm afraid - I had to download an extra bit of software for my nokia e65 to get the contacts to copy over. but the answer is likely to be on the net somewhere! (try north american mini perhaps?)

·
DS/B Cooper Works
179 Posts
Hi All,

Sorry if these questions have been answered before but I have searched the forums and have not found any answers.

My wife just picked up her lovely new Clubman '58' plate today from the dealership today and we both love it but have come across a couple of problems:

1. When I connect my iPhone into the USB port in the centre console it is not recognised by as an USB device but if I try an iPod nano this works, how do I get my iPhone recognised so I can play music? I notice other readers have said this is possible using the USB port that comes with the Bluetooth option which we have..

2. I can also pair the iPhone with the standard bluetooth which we installed as an option but it does not pick up the contacts, again from reading other threads it seems others are not having this problem, any ideas? :confused:

Thanks

Graham
The Y cable is the best option I never managed to get a free one either :( my contacts synced over a treat with the blutooth but it does take a while. So pair it up and go for a drive then check it when you get back. The only reason for the drive is it beats sitting around waiting for the sync to happen :)

WD

·
MCS & Cobra 427
46 Posts
This may be an iPhone problem, not your Mini. For example, iPhones use a different bluetooth stack than 95% the rest of the known world, making it highly uncompatible with other systems: many people I know with iPhones have similar problems not only with their Minis but getting them to work with a multitude of things. I'd first get a "normal" blueooth phone (Nokia, Sony Ericsson) & see if it works OK with the Mini, that way you'll know it is an iPhone problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an iPhone 3G and never had any issues transferring the phonebook to either a Parrot handsfree or an Alpine stereo system with bluetooth - I don't think that their implementation is that different.

·
Registered
274 Posts
This may be an iPhone problem, not your Mini. For example, iPhones use a different bluetooth stack than 95% the rest of the known world, making it highly uncompatible with other systems: many people I know with iPhones have similar problems not only with their Minis but getting them to work with a multitude of things. I'd first get a "normal" blueooth phone (Nokia, Sony Ericsson) & see if it works OK with the Mini, that way you'll know it is an iPhone problem.
Hmm someone seems to be confusing their bluetooth stacks with bluetooth profiles. Compatibility between bluetooth products is determined by the profiles that each device supports. The Iphone and the BMW/Mini bluetooth systems (which are made by Visteon) both support the same profile and as such are compatibile. So an Iphone is probable one of the most compatible bluetooth phones to use with the BMW/Mini system.
Your comment about normal bluetooth phones from Nokia and Sony Ericcson is also somewhat erroneous. For example even though Ericcson was one of the original pioneers of bluetooth technology a lot of the Sony Ericsson phones do not support the same bluetooth profile as used by the BMW/Mini bluetooth system. The same is true for Nokia phones.

·
Registered
1 Posts
To: Graham concerning your # 2 item

Hi All,

Thanks

Graham
I too am having issues with my contacts not be copied over when I pair my iPhone 3GS with my MINI. The dealership was no help whatsoever. The Service Manager suggested I use an earlier version of the iPhoone 3GS software
Did you find any other help? Were you ever able to get your contacts copied over to the MINI Bluetooth device? I also have a BIG problem hearing conversation on calls made to me while driving hear anything like that?
Thanks
Mark in West Palm Beach FL

·
MINI2 on order!
138 Posts
re the contacts not transferring try this...

Go into your iphone
click settings
click general
click bluetooth
you should see a list of paired devices - click the little blue arrow for the device which is your mini
make sure sync contacts option is flicked to "on"

hope this resolves the issue

1 - 8 of 8 Posts