MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the edge of getting a new iPhone 3G. Most of the reasons I didn't get one first time round (mainly locking to a UK network when I was about to emigrate and lack of 3G) have been addressed or gone away and Exchange push email is a lovely added bonus, plus I haven't got a contract phone here yet and pre-pay is getting on my nerves running out at really inconvenient times, so if Vodafone NZ would just release pricing so I know what I'm committing to I'd probably pre-order one.

I was also going to retro-fit factory Bluetooth as my car has nav and I just added phone buttons to the MFSW in preparation. Does anyone know if the original iPhone worked with factory Bluetooth, or if you read this after getting your hands on a 3G version it would be even better to know if that works?

TIA

Fen

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was my fall-back position if nobody here knows, but I thought I'd give it a whirl here first. Then again if you don't know it isn't looking good :D

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hi Fen, did you ever find out? I have a 1st gen Mini convertible with factory Bluetooth and I'm thinking of getting an iPhone 3G (when I get my hands on one, that is! They sell out like hot cakes) and was wondering about compatibility.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hey, I got me an iPhone 3G 16GB...I tried plugging it in and it came up with the 'accessory is not supported' message I see others have encountered on the forum. Didn't try playing music etc and it said it would not charge but I will try playing music etc and see if it shows the charging symbol. I have ordered a car-lighter charger anyway, and have an iPod for the car and BlueTooth for phone calls anyway (factory built, I got 1st gen convertible built Oct 07) so no biggie for me but will let you guys know

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hm, i've tested the iPhone 3G in my car. It specifically says it will not charge the phone. It does work with my stereo as if it were an iPod and I can control it with the multi-function steering wheel. Does anyone know if there is a newer iPod kit that can also charge the iPhone 3G? That would really be ideal for me.

EDIT: just reading the post again and realised I was talking about the wrong thing (iPod kit)...The iPhone 3G works with 1st gen factory bluetooth a treat, contacts merge across no problem :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts