MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Go Go Gadget Mini
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, found a cool gadget that enables you to stream music directly from your iphone straight through your car speakers and use it as a hands free kit so if you get a call, you can use your front speakers to hear the person your speaking to.
It comes with a control interface for answering calls, rewind, ff, pause and hangup.

The kit is called io Play, If you went to the motor show your probly seen this being demo'ed?

It plugs into the your Speaker ISO connectors before the head unit, I have an aftermarket HU aswell. It is a bluetooth device with a little amp. I have a little bluetooth dongle that plugs into the bottom of the iphone, you can play the music on your phone and when paired with the io play device in the car the music is streamed straight through your car speakers.

The sound is amazingly clear. Better than cd! phone calls aswell are clear as day as if you are talking normally on the phone thanks to the mic that comes with the kit.

The kit also works with other phones and mp3 devices if they have the A2DP, etc, profile.

If any 1 is interested in this working give me a shout if your local and ill show you it working.

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
We've got them in stock, I have been recommending it in another thread
It has a built in 4*15 w RMS amp so does sound better than the factory stereo

·
Go Go Gadget Mini
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mikey, When i stop playing from the iphone and turn my radio on on the HU, the sound doesnt come through until i unplug the IO dongle from the iphone. Have you any idea how i can get around this? Its a bit annoying esp if i get a phone call when not listening to music from the phone. I.e car radio?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
looks quite good but how do you turn it on and off from coming through the speakers? i.e say im listening to my ipod through this system is it possible to turn off easily so i could listen to radio or do you have to unplug it or something?

edit: got answered while i was typing lol

·
Mini Cooper Park Lane
9 Posts
Picked one up last week and had it installed...nice bit of kit...does exactly what it says on the tin!! According to a rep at the Motor show there's a recharging dongle coming out in September that comes with a retractable charging lead to keep your iPhone from rinsing its battery with the bluetooth on all the while!!

·
Go Go Gadget Mini
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Picked one up last week and had it installed...nice bit of kit...does exactly what it says on the tin!! According to a rep at the Motor show there's a recharging dongle coming out in September that comes with a retractable charging lead to keep your iPhone from rinsing its battery with the bluetooth on all the while!!
Cool. This will come in very handy. I have to say ive noticed my battery has the life span of a nat with the bluetooth on all the time in car when playing music from it now. very annoying that i have to charge it at every available chance.

·
Mini Cooper Park Lane
9 Posts
Cool. This will come in very handy. I have to say ive noticed my battery has the life span of a nat with the bluetooth on all the time in car when playing music from it now. very annoying that i have to charge it at every available chance.
...and if you still got an old ipod knocking around you can use the original bluetooth dongle (once you've got the new charging one) to stream music from your old ipod giving you even more storage and you can have your iphone connected at the same time. Sweet :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
io Wanted Manchester

Hi everyone

I wanna get me one of these io plays for my mini convertible (05)

Halfords are doing them for £150 fitted.

Personally, I've never been a big fan of Halfords myself, having botched nearly every stereo fitting they have done for me.

Anyone reasonably local to Manchester fancy selling me one and fitting it for me?

Regards

Shoester

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
£136 + vat fitted here INCLUDING the adaptors needed to make it connect to the Mini stereo.
If you are using an iphone & need the bluetooth dongle that is extra

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just picked up my first MINI and loving it, but just like with the classic I used to own I'm already drawing up a shortlist of bits to add...

First up is the stereo, and how best to integrate my iphone. The car is a 2005 MCS with the MFSW. It's the first car I've had with steering wheel controls and I'm loving them. Anyway, from all the options I've looked at, the IO play seems like the best solution, love the sound of the preamp and also due to the fact I can also hook up the old ipod. However, if I do this will I be able to control the iphone/ipod from the steering wheel? Or, am I better off with an alternative kit, or even a head unit like an Alpine X100?

Advice appreciated!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts