MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the USB port on my MINI and also the MINI Y lead and coming into work today the radio would not recognise the Ipod, on the Ipod screen it stated the battery was very low and to wait. After 5 minutes I unplugged an re-plugged the Ipod and it worked ok. After about 30 minutes the Ipod stopped and the same low battery message appeared. I thought the Y lead was supposed to charge the Ipod as well.
Would anyone think this is a Y lead issue or a problem with the USB on the car or even a problem with the Ipod.

Any thought would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
849 Posts
I've got the interface into the radio and it charges mine perfectly.
Check your IPod in the house, if it works there its the car not charging it. If not its another dodgy IPod.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yep I have had this issue with my latest 160gb Ipod. The problem seems random and is not a dodgy Ipod as it works fine. My suspicion is that there is some faulty logic in the switch off power timers on the car that allow the Ipod to continue working and hence drain the battery. Once the battery is drained on the Ipod then the problem seems to persist presumably because the charging current from the car is low. The problem seems to have stopped since I fully charged the Ipod.

·
Wanted a JCW!!
777 Posts
This is because the car sometimes, like stated above, allows the iPod to stay switched on hence draining the battery. But due to the USB port in the car only being low power 1.1 instead of 2.0 high power like a computer, the iPod isn't able to get enough power instantly to boot up with from the car, and therefore requires to be plugged into mains for a short time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts