MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi you Apple-y type experts out there! I've been a fan of the old Apple iPod for years and still use a couple of late model click wheel classics & don't plan on changing for as long as they last. I recently bought an F57, dating from 2016. I'm trying to connect the iPod to the MINI via the Multimedia selection in MINI Connected. I have the short Y lead, with the Apple 30 pin plug at one end and USB / mini jack at the other - a genuine OEM BMW part. When I connect it, I expect to see the MINI symbol on the iPod screen, but the screen doesn't change. And when I try to find it via Mulitimedia>External devices, it is not listed agaisnt the USB symbol.
I know its possible for minis to link with early iPods - I've seen it on YouTube clips - does anyone have any advice? I'm worried that the software on my mini is now too new to support these classic iPods... Hope I wrong!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Hi you Apple-y type experts out there! I've been a fan of the old Apple iPod for years and still use a couple of late model click wheel classics & don't plan on changing for as long as they last. I recently bought an F57, dating from 2016. I'm trying to connect the iPod to the MINI via the Multimedia selection in MINI Connected. I have the short Y lead, with the Apple 30 pin plug at one end and USB / mini jack at the other - a genuine OEM BMW part. When I connect it, I expect to see the MINI symbol on the iPod screen, but the screen doesn't change. And when I try to find it via Mulitimedia>External devices, it is not listed agaisnt the USB symbol.
I know its possible for minis to link with early iPods - I've seen it on YouTube clips - does anyone have any advice? I'm worried that the software on my mini is now too new to support these classic iPods... Hope I wrong!
I have an iPod Nano 5 Gen working fine on my 2014 F56 however mine is connected by a USB (I have no mini jack). I think this is because I have Visual Boost option. In your case I would expect the USB to supply power only and the music goes through the mini jack. So don't select the USB in your menu look for the mini jack probably called aux. This is too simple a connection for your Mini to know what is on the other end. If you can't find a aux connection in your menus then I am talking nonsense!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I have an iPod Nano 5 Gen working fine on my 2014 F56 however mine is connected by a USB (I have no mini jack). I think this is because I have Visual Boost option. In your case I would expect the USB to supply power only and the music goes through the mini jack. So don't select the USB in your menu look for the mini jack probably called aux. This is too simple a connection for your Mini to know what is on the other end. If you can't find a aux connection in your menus then I am talking nonsense!
I forget to say have you tried a 30 pin Apple to USB cable instead of the Y cable? You should get track info and music via the USB. As soon as you use a Y cable I think the Apple product defaults to sending music by the mini jack.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts