MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
GP 1752
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A very quick question

Ipod or cd changer

Which is the best ipod to buy(model) and what car kit will i need to fit it to my cd player in the mini.

Help.

Neil

·
Registered
276 Posts
hi there,

just a quick say, myself not having either I'm not really in an experienced position to fully advise you on this but I was having the same dilema until I spent some time reading some threads on the iPod. I now really want an iPod and the kit to hook it up to my mini, which is the Dension ICE-Link. Have a look at some of the threads on this forum and am sure you'll agree the iPods look very cool. Think there's a pic in the Head Unit gallery of a mini with the iPod fitted and connected up!! Looks very cool. :D

hope this was of some use.

regards

Ben.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I am considering the same issue. I thought I wanted a CD-Changer -- have had one in my cars for the past many years, and I like the flexibility. But I am now leaning toward an iPod (or similar), b/c I can put all of my meager CD collection and expand from there, having everything I want with me. But Q: I've never used an iPod. How hard is it to find a song you want when you want it?

·
Official Pimp of Mini2
4,001 Posts
AmRov said:
I am considering the same issue. I thought I wanted a CD-Changer -- have had one in my cars for the past many years, and I like the flexibility. But I am now leaning toward an iPod (or similar), b/c I can put all of my meager CD collection and expand from there, having everything I want with me. But Q: I've never used an iPod. How hard is it to find a song you want when you want it?
I have an I-Pod although I havent had to linked to the car yet, its very very very easy to use sorts by Artist / Albums / Songs / Genres / Composers so its easy to find the track you want.

·
Domestic Motor Pool Chief
1,150 Posts
I bought an IPOD a month ago and am very pleased with it for unexpected reasons. (I expected it to be terrific in the car and it is. (I had speced the aux input)). I might eventually get the ice link.

UNEXPECTED REASON #1 -The shuffle. You don't know what's next but you will like it.
UNEXPECTED REASON # 2 - The sleep timer.

I have the 15 gig model. If I was buying one today I'd get the 20 gig (the 15 gig model is now obsolete).

Cool thing to do- The shuffle always seemed to start with the same song, so I created a 1 second track of silence with a dash as the song title, album title, artist, composer, and 1900 as the date written so that it always shuffles to the front and all the real songs are random. I put the silent track on all the playlists.

Right now I'm trying to turn my LP's into CD format for Itunes, but am running into some difficulty setting up the track breaks.

Hope my opinion is helpful.

·
GP 1752
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks oldpaint1

I have been on the Apple web site and they are bring out a new 20gig ipod machine with a new 12 hour battery :D
And it will be at a lower price to. :D :D

Neil......... :p

·
Registered
227 Posts
You have asked the wrong question. iPod or CD changer? Why not ask iPod or wind-up Victrola in the back seat? Both are immensely klunky ways to play music in a car. Who wants to mess with a portable iPod just to carry songs? Who wants to have to stow it when you park, or worry about it being stolen all the time? Sure, having 3000 songs is great, but no one I know wants to listen to 3000 songs, or even can come up with 3000 songs they can recognize, let alone listen to.

Here's a little clue - the iPod is an over-priced way to achieve personal portable music - 600 hours of music with 4 hours of battery life. As a source of music for a car, it is an out-of date monstrosity. A white eyesore in an anthracite world. An iceberg of poor taste in a sea of tranquility.

Get a new Mini with a head unit that plays mp3's. A single disk hold twelve full albums of music - thats about enough to drive anywhere without repeating a song. 120 songs on an 18 cent disk - hell, just throw them out the window when you are done with them. If they get stolen, who cares? Scratched, who cares? They are as disposable as your musical taste is variable. If you have an old Mini, get a new head unit or a head unit that plays MP3's.

An iPod is a bad excuse for an audio source in a vehicle. Its what everyone wants - white spaghetti in your new car and another battery to charge or go dead. You all intrinsically know that if it was meant to go in a car, it would be black!

My daughter, bless her heart, loves her iPod, but she didn't pay for her car, I did, and I would no more have that ugly monstosity in that white holder in my vehicle than I would have a wheel of Gorgonzola cheese between the seats.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Wow ... well, before the iPod-lover flaming starts, let me say that you have made some good points, Joe... Of course, there are options other than an iPod and they aren't white. And they are portable... so more flexible than an MP3 headunit. Just gotta figure out what your needs are. Wouldn't an iPod (or similar) fit in a cubby holder under the head unit, thus not rattling around?

·
Registered
227 Posts
You do not buy a car audio source for "flexibility." One thing that does many things badly are no substitute for 2 things that do each well. Car audio is about showing that you have money to waste, not "look it can mow the lawn as well!" Those hideous Japanese video displays don't say "i've arrived," they say "Where the hell am I?"

Right now we are on the cusp of a change in car audio, as MP3 file format replaces Audio CD file format. There is obvious confusion, and prices for new items are wildly out of step with reality.

I remember when cassettes were King! (I actually remember 8-tracks, but they were Prince at best) When the CD Walkman was invented, people ran to hook them up to their cassette players with klunky adapters that went into the cassette deck, which looked and and sounded awful. I, too, had a cd player in my car, with ugly wires, and a cigarette lighter adapter and a cassette adapter and a hodgepodge of other crap to get the sound out of the car speakers. Looking back, it was idiotic to do it, and as soon as CD head units appeared, all those things disappeared.

In a few short years, your head unit will take a mini hard drive cassette that will hold 80 gig or so of computer files in a package no bigger than a current audio cassette. You'll pop in music, or video, or whatever. You'll see song names, video clips and advertisements on video screens all over the car. The notion of having some white octopus spreading around your car like a fungus will seem so antideluvian that you will deny that you ever did it. Before that, Phatbox-like storage mediums will drop in price and eclipse the iPod. In a car full of 12 volt on demand and a video screen the size of Texas compared to an iPod, that little white thing will be like a 13 inch tv in front of a 42" plasma HD.

Unless you already own an iPod and can't afford a Phatbox or can't wait for the cheap ones around the corner, ixnay on the iPodnay.

·
All Shiney :)
163 Posts
hey bengasgoyne

Well today at work my ice>link is turning up and i shall have a go at fitting it myself this evening.
i ordered the ice>link with the dock cable rather than the cable so i can just stick it all in the glovebox and not have to worry about mounting a cradle or worry about my mini ipod gettig stolen..

this months GO:mini has a complete breakdown on how to install the ice>link and i have to say it looks easy-peasey i shall let you know!!

oh just to add to the mix my vote is for iPOD mini!!! who needs 10+ gig when you get 4gig on a cute ipod mini its still 1000+ songs and its mini :):):)

Ill get my coat

Andy..

·
mini dee
102 Posts
Seems like joe dislikes the ipod but i am not really sure. ;)

I had a cd changer in my old car but nothing compares to putting your ipod on suffle mode of your entire cd collection. I am very happy with my ipod and currently use it with the itrip fm transmitter. Its the cheap and easy way to listen to your ipod through you radio. The audio quality is acceptable but for those audiophiles out there this would not fly. eventually i will invest in a higher quality method of listening to my ipod in my car. I have been looking into the alpine setup for the ipod and am really impressed with its "full integration". But as of right now the itrip will do. :D

·
Goin to fast to look back
1,823 Posts
JoeDentist said:
4 Sure, having 3000 songs is great, but no one I know wants to listen to 3000 songs, or even can come up with 3000 songs they can recognize, let alone listen to.

Here's a little clue - the iPod is an over-priced way to achieve personal portable music - 600 hours of music with 4 hours of battery life. As a source of music for a car, it is an out-of date monstrosity. A white eyesore in an anthracite world. An iceberg of poor taste in a sea of tranquility.

An iPod is a bad excuse for an audio source in a vehicle. Its what everyone wants - white spaghetti in your new car and another battery to charge or go dead. You all intrinsically know that if it was meant to go in a car, it would be black!
I dont have 3000 but I do have around 2200 and i know about 2000 by heart... The I-Pod can charge itself (use the fire-wire and Ice-Link) so battery life is not an issue. Overpriced? Yes but if we get back to the original question between the CD Changer and I-Pod one would think that the Ice-Link/I-Pod and the CD Changer are about equal in cost and the difference is 6 Cd's in the boot (you have to change them for more than 60ish songs) or the I-Pod with 2000 upwards songs at your fingertips. I would choose the I-Pod/Ice-Link anyday.
Cheers
Harvey

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have the Denison ICE link.... including the bracket to fit the iPod to the downtube it cost me about £150. I fitted it myself. It was very easy with the step by step instructions from mikeys site. I ADORE having the iPod in my car. No, it doesnt really match the surroundings, but, to have what ever song you want at your finger tips, all of the time, is great. You never know what mood you might be in when you've finished an 8 hour shift at work..... you might have picked all the wrong cds that morning and have a changer full of happy music when all you really want is a bit of radiohead! Thats why the iPod is great in the car. The denison link charges the iPod whilst its in the cradle..... so its pretty much always fully charged. You can operate it using your mfsw, which is always a bonus, and if you have it mounted on your downtube you can always flick between songs/albums/artists whilst your sitting at the lights or something.

I have a mcc on order, with harmon kardon stereo (an upgrade from my current wave hu in my current ONE) I will make sure I have the ICE link purchased and ready to install for the day I pick it up!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
17 Participants
MiniBeefy
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing