MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon Everyone

I have been looking to buy a new toy and have been considering a R56 2007 MINI Hatch Cooper S Chilli.

After doing some research, I am really worried about this timing chain issue that I have been seeing and also the fact that it may need to be done every 30,000 kms.

I would appreciate feedback from people with these cars if it is really that bad? So I consider buying one of these cars? Can anyone recommend anyone in Sydney who knows how to look after these things as it doesn't sound like BMW are much help and anyone who has owned a BMW also knows that it stands for Break My Wallet when it comes to servicing their cars.

What else do I need to watch out for?

I appreciate your assistance.

Cheers - Josh

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Josh, for less headaches, get a Gen 1 2044-2006 Mini. Whilst the Gen 2 have a nicer interior the Gen 1 is less problematic than the direct injection engines.

Should you buy the Gen 2, you can do the timing chain service if you are prepared to purchase a specific tool required to lock the cams and crank to alow you to change the timing chain assembly if your mechanically inclined.

The following gentleman has posted a series of 3 videos on how to do this.

This link is for Video 1 of 3 and whilst it sometimes seems a bit long winded it worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQyyGEg7uSQ

If you decide on a Gen 1, search YouTube for Modmini and his series of DIY videos.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Josh, for less headaches, get a Gen 1 2044-2006 Mini. Whilst the Gen 2 have a nicer interior the Gen 1 is less problematic than the direct injection engines.

Should you buy the Gen 2, you can do the timing chain service if you are prepared to purchase a specific tool required to lock the cams and crank to alow you to change the timing chain assembly if your mechanically inclined.

The following gentleman has posted a series of 3 videos on how to do this.

This link is for Video 1 of 3 and whilst it sometimes seems a bit long winded it worth watching.

If you decide on a Gen 1, search YouTube for Modmini and his series of DIY videos.
Thanks Milpol

Appreciate the reply. Certainly some great information on the Modmini page.

I think I will change my search to now find a 2006 R53 :)

Cheers - Josh

1 - 4 of 4 Posts