MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few the last few days I have been driving an 02 Cooper. And I do think I can feel the difference between the old suspension setup and the new "softer" suspension my 04 Cooper had.

I assume I am comparing ordinary Sports Suspension in both cases -- I know my 04 car had it, and there it no evidence to suggest that the 02 has anything else (it's a pretty standard 02 Cooper + Pepper with few extras).

This is the first MINI with the original suspension that I have driven, and I find that the car feels a little more sure-footed, with slightly less bounce and body roll (not that the 04 had much of either). Yet with the 15" wheels, the ride quality is not noticably harsher.

I will be ordering a new 05 Cooper any day now (paid for by the insurance company to replace my written-off 04, I can't afford a new car every year :rolleyes: ), and I am now wondering if I should go for Sport Suspension Plus. Having got used to the slightly better handling of the older cars, I'm not sure if I would be happy with the new softer suspension.

Does anyone know how the current (softer) Sports Suspension Plus compares to the original unsoftened Sports Suspension (not plus)?

·
minimalist
585 Posts
are you going to spec the same wheel/tire combo as the old one? for instance if you're going from 15 or 16 to 17 inchers and runflats that might make it too much of a stiff ride together with ss+...

·
cristo
2,796 Posts
TomH said:
Does anyone know how the current (softer) Sports Suspension Plus compares to the original unsoftened Sports Suspension (not plus)?
the current softer SS+ has softer dampers (shock absorbers) than the original
unsoftened dampers (same is true for SS - new vs. old), but the SS+ still has
the stiffer front and rear roll bars and stiffer springs compared to SS just as before
the "shock"-ing change in mid 2003. I doubt that the new SS+ dampers are
softer than the old SS dampers.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
xplode said:
are you going to spec the same wheel/tire combo as the old one? for instance if you're going from 15 or 16 to 17 inchers and runflats that might make it too much of a stiff ride together with ss+...
I am intending to stick with the 15" wheels. I did originally test drive a Cooper Chili and found the combo of 16" runflats, SS+ and numerous speed bumps was not a comfortable one. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cristo said:
I doubt that the new SS+ dampers are
softer than the old SS dampers.
I was more concerned about whether they would be a lot stiffer -- perhaps to the point of the ride becoming a bit uncomfortable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts