MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few the last few days I have been driving an 02 Cooper. And I do think I can feel the difference between the old suspension setup and the new "softer" suspension my 04 Cooper had.

I assume I am comparing ordinary Sports Suspension in both cases -- I know my 04 car had it, and there it no evidence to suggest that the 02 has anything else (it's a pretty standard 02 Cooper + Pepper with few extras).

This is the first MINI with the original suspension that I have driven, and I find that the car feels a little more sure-footed, with slightly less bounce and body roll (not that the 04 had much of either). Yet with the 15" wheels, the ride quality is not noticably harsher.

I will be ordering a new 05 Cooper any day now (paid for by the insurance company to replace my written-off 04, I can't afford a new car every year :rolleyes: ), and I am now wondering if I should go for Sport Suspension Plus. Having got used to the slightly better handling of the older cars, I'm not sure if I would be happy with the new softer suspension.

Does anyone know how the current (softer) Sports Suspension Plus compares to the original unsoftened Sports Suspension (not plus)?

·
minimalist
585 Posts
are you going to spec the same wheel/tire combo as the old one? for instance if you're going from 15 or 16 to 17 inchers and runflats that might make it too much of a stiff ride together with ss+...

·
cristo
2,776 Posts
TomH said:
Does anyone know how the current (softer) Sports Suspension Plus compares to the original unsoftened Sports Suspension (not plus)?
the current softer SS+ has softer dampers (shock absorbers) than the original
unsoftened dampers (same is true for SS - new vs. old), but the SS+ still has
the stiffer front and rear roll bars and stiffer springs compared to SS just as before
the "shock"-ing change in mid 2003. I doubt that the new SS+ dampers are
softer than the old SS dampers.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
xplode said:
are you going to spec the same wheel/tire combo as the old one? for instance if you're going from 15 or 16 to 17 inchers and runflats that might make it too much of a stiff ride together with ss+...
I am intending to stick with the 15" wheels. I did originally test drive a Cooper Chili and found the combo of 16" runflats, SS+ and numerous speed bumps was not a comfortable one. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cristo said:
I doubt that the new SS+ dampers are
softer than the old SS dampers.
I was more concerned about whether they would be a lot stiffer -- perhaps to the point of the ride becoming a bit uncomfortable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
RobHardyUK
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing