MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I guess the DSC is ok in bad weather, but I turn it off most of the time. It limits the driver in the ability to drive the car. If I had my choice I would rather have one without it. If someone that is not too good of a driver uses the car it might be worthwhile.

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
I didn't order DSC on mine and I live in the North. I had ASC on my BMW and it worked nicely for me in heavy snow, but that was with RWD and ice on the roads. Seeing the MINI is FWD and much more manuverable than the BMW, I didn't opt for it this time and don't regret it.

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
Hi,

I think it is worth it.

I am a reasonable driver, but still have a lot to learn. I have done over 25 driver training / race driving training days, and competed in around 20 track racing events and 2 rallies. I have an international class rally licence, national class circuit racing license, but I still have a long way to go before I could categorise myself a good driver.

On the racetrack I allways switch DSC off in the dry. On the street I never turn it off.

Many people get traction control and DSC mixed up. People get annoyed by the car bogging down on acceleration, especially out of corners. This is traction control, not DSC, and will happen whether you get DSC or not.

Most people have probably never experienced true DSC activation, and probably dont appreciate how it can save your life. Where DSC can save you is when the car loses control in either a big oversteer or understeer. In these circumstances DSC can do something no driver (even Schumacher) can do. The car can apply individual brakes in varying degrees, monitoring slip angles, pitch, yaw, steering wheel position etc 100 times per second, and modulating brake application to each individual wheel, to try and bring the car back onto line. It works amazingly well. Without DSC you have only one brake pedal, which applies force equally to each wheel, and your brain probably can't process all the information as quickly as the computer.

If have been on racetracks and skid pans in the wet and the snow, where I have safely been able to push the car to the limit, and I have been amazed by what DSC can do. The car starts to go into a big slide, then suddenly hear thud thud thud from various corners of the car as it is applied, and next thing you know, you are going straight.

Of course, it can't beat the laws of physics, and if you are going way too fast you will still go off. However, there is hard scientific evidence that DSC can potentially reduce fatal single driver accidents by 30-35%

Personally, I wouldn't by a street car without it, as I value my life, and if I ever get into a nasty situation, I want all the help I can get

Thats my 2cents worth ;)

Cheers

Robbo

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Very good post robbo! Excellent thoughts! ;)

Yes, on my BMW, the ASC (DSC) was EXTREMELY helpful in extreme situations. These took place during heavy snowfall though, never during dry road conditions. The ASC saved me from something potentially worse, how much worse I don't know, maybe nothing at all, but it saved me from something else a couple of times when the car just "lost it" because of unforeseen snow/ice conditions that was too much for the vehicle.

So yes, it still is a personal preference on whether to get DSC or not, but there is no doubting its effectiveness.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. I think I'm going to go ahead and get the DSC. Especially considering that apparently it can be turned off when desired (i.e. track driving). Plus, I'm seriously considering making this MSCS my daughters first car when she turns 16 in about 7 years. Man, they sure do grow up fast.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Had my first MCS in the snow experience a week back, and having the DSC kick in was quite the experience! I never got dedicated snows, so I still have the all-season runflats on there, which aren't that great. Anyway, hit the gas on an uphill curve and the rear end started to slide out. Before my mind sent the message to my hands to turn the wheel into the spin, DSC was already correcting it. What a wierd sensation to feel a car "fix" itself. Do it's definitely worth it, and you can always turn it off! ;)

·
Registered
429 Posts
It's definitely a plus to have DSC...even if you sometimes don't use it. There will be a day when it's pouring cats and dogs and you just want to get home. DSC is a life saver. When you are aware and want to push it, just turn it off. If I were to get an '05, I'd get DSC and LSD; running with DSC off most the time and using the LSD to keep the traction through the corners. If you need to drive in ther snow, LSD is possily even more usefull than DSC as the MCS comes standard with ASC which has the launch control.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I agonized over whether to get DSC or not - the dealer even tried to dissuade me when I was speccing. Finally someone on here pointed out that DSC is a feature that could potentially save your life one day and I added it to my spec.

Then, on my first ever MINI2 run (Cotswolds II) I made the classic mistake of thinking that I could take a sharp bend at the exact same speed as the car in front of me. As I realized that the car was starting to oversteer but before I could do anything to correct it, the DSC light flashed and I heard 4 or 5 short, rapid tyre-squeals from different coners of the car. And suddenly I was pointing the right way again. Had I not had DSC, I'm quite sure I'd have had a much more serious problem on my hands.

The way I see it, if DSC saves you from kerbing an alloy or dinging a parked car on a snowy day even once then it's more than paid for itself in saved repair costs alone. And if it saves your or somebody else's life then, well....

·
MINI crazy!
303 Posts
I love my MTH modded DSC more than ever!

It is great for bad weather driving and it can always be turned off for the sunny days! :D

DSC is my good friend and I love it!

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
Personally I think DSC is well worth it! It's saved me a few times in the past and is so much more advanced than ASC. But like they say, you dont know it till you need it. And in the wet and icy conditions we're having I like the fact I do have it.

Also if you turn in really sharp on a corner or roundabout going a bit to quick it will apply the brakes on the correct side to turn the car and make the corner even quicker! It can be quite fun!

·
Registered
13 Posts
"Recent studies by both the traffic safety administration and the insurance institute have also suggested that stability control systems could save thousands of lives annually. A study released last month by the institute found that a car equipped with the technology was 34 percent less likely to be involved in a fatal crash. The technology reduced the risk of a single fatal crash by 56 percent — when a driver loses control at high speeds, in inclement weather or after momentarily nodding off"

DSC in the news

I personally just had my 2004 MCS ECU reflashed to the newest version and this feature seems even less intrusive than before. As others have said... if it saves you from just one accident its totally paid for itself.

Just my opinion

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
DarkMiniCooperS said:
I don't think DSC can be retrofitted... It involves many sensors and it would cost too much...

Just a guess though...
I'd say you were right.... I imagine the ABS and stability controller will need to be replaced and wont be cheap at all! Other than that... I think all the wheel sensors are in place with ASC... but could be the wrong ones and im sur ethe dealer will replace them anyway. Just because it makes sense.. or should I say money for them.

·
saving the world
2,896 Posts
DSC actually can be retrofitted - there have been cases where people have ordered cars and the order was placed incorrectly and DSC wasn't installed at the factory, and it's been retrofitted by the dealer... However the cost is definately prohibitive. I can't remember the exact amounts quoted but it was many many thousands of dollars.

If you want DSC bad enough, I suggest buying a new car :)

·
MINI Fan (atic)
276 Posts
DSC..? Yes, for me!

Before I got my MCS a month ago, I had been looking for a MINI for 9 months..!

The reason? DSC. This is a potentially lifesaving option, and at only £220, is well worth it IMHO.

Unfortunately for me, I was looking to buy used, so was limited in what was available, BUT, when you are on that roundabout, and you leave it JUST A LITTLE bit TOO late and turn in.....OH MAN does it do its job !!

:D

[Disclaimer:
Kodak does not in any way, shape or form condone dangerous driving,
nor encourage anyone to break the law
or drive outside their abilities or the laws of physics...]

:eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.