MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Merry Christmas to all!

Does every think that there power steering is very noisy at reverse/ slow speeds???

It makes a bit of a racket but perhaps because of the tap. Also my alternator belt squeaks when cold any one else noticed?

I finish work for Christmas today!!!!
Yippee!!!

James

·
Registered
577 Posts
Popular Science says the new Saturn VUE (a small SUV) has "all-electric steering." When I can see one at a dealer, I'll see if it uses a similar system and if the pump motor makes noise.

·
Registered
113 Posts
important note for those waiting for MINI

The noise is very noticable outside the car.

But NOT inside !

Dave

·
Back in a first gen.
1,386 Posts
Because of the MINI's power steering, it can be heard at slower speeds. But last year I noticed that the noise was getting louder & louder, until eventually it sounded like a cat being murdered. The next day my steering went completly and when turning the wheel it juddered and made a loud grating noise.

I called out MINI emergency services and it turned out that I needed a new steering rack.

This was just an example of an extreme case, but generaly when your steering makes a low noise this is normal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had two replacement steering units on my first Coop.

I Picked up a new car yesterday and forgot all about the noise until someone pointed out how quiet the car is.

Hopefully the problem has been solved.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good to have found this site love it only had my Cooper S 2 weeks and was worried the power steering was a little noisy but it sounds like its the norm.

·
Mini Design Philosopher
1,028 Posts
I think it sounds great. Just sit in your car, stereo off, without moving and just nudge the steering wheel and its like waking a lazy cat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Normal Noises?

I recently purchased a used '03 mini and was suspicious of the noisy power steering/fuel pump...is this normal?!

I'm going to assume yes, WHEW!

·
Registered
199 Posts
yeah.. the noisy power steering is normal and a nice quirk to have i think. Makes the car just that little bit different! One of the girls at the dealership where i got my car from said she's akways being asked about the power steering noise. She said if you can play a tune by moving the steering wheel, it's fine :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yep it sure is noisy - normal i think on nearly all

:smile:
yeah.. the noisy power steering is normal and a nice quirk to have i think. Makes the car just that little bit different! One of the girls at the dealership where i got my car from said she's akways being asked about the power steering noise. She said if you can play a tune by moving the steering wheel, it's fine :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Phew, so glad I found this thread. Only had my first Mini (Cooper S) a few weeks and I was sure my pump was on it's way out. Hadn't noticed until my boyfriend borrowed my car and drove away without me :mad: Like you say, you can't hear it at all in the car!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts