MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday afternoon, after the winds blew out the storm clouds that had dumped rain on San Francisco in the morning, I decided to drive down to 3Com Park to see if the MINI dealer reps from across the US were being given a chance to do some autoXing.
Expecting to have to park outside the fence to watch the festivities, I was quite surprised to see the gate to the parking lot wide open. I drove in and parked my 2002 tii off to the side and sidled my way up to where a group of reps were being given rides by test drivers in two Cooper S's. I talked to a rep from Long Beach (CA) MINI who had already gotten his ride, and he commented on how well the supercharged car accelerated coming out of a curve.

Pretty soon the reps all went into a tent, leaving one guy standing alone. I walked up and chatted with him a few moments. Turns out he was with the company who BMW had contracted to put on the autoX. I asked him if he taken a ride yet and he told me he was going now that this group of reps was done. I asked him what my chances were of getting a ride. He told me "pretty good" and then asked what dealership I was from. Being taught very young that "honesty was the best policy", I admitted that I was just John Q Public and had come down to check things out. He then told me that I couldn't ride because of insurance issues, saying only the dealer reps were covered. As another group of reps approached for their rides, I walked away (kicking myself) to take a few photos of some nearby MINIs.

As I was shooting a line-up of Cooper S's a young lady wearing MINI hat and jacket walked up from another direction and told me very politely that I would have to leave, as my presence was a liability issue.

In my limited time there I did snap a few pictures [click the thumbnails]:

Dark Silver S

Cooper S line-up (side)

Cooper S line-up (front)

On the way out after getting the boot!

One parting shot

In hindsight, it's probably best that I didn't get that ride ... as it would make waiting that much harder ;)

·
Bad Dog, Moderator
798 Posts
I would have...

lied like a rug!!!:D :D
Naahhh...you did the right thing. Just keep telling yourself that.:D

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
As Homer Simpson puts it "DOH!"

Hmmmm.....one night in jail for the first ride in an 'S' being driven by a 'quote' professional driver.

You should have told him you were from the Dallas, Texas dealership. ;)

Tuff call!

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
You did the right thing MINIAC........, AND got some great shots before they kicked you out.

Good Work

:)

PS. Those Yellow Coopers look good too !!!......... :eek:)

·
Registered
342 Posts
I wonder just how many unofficial people they've had sneaking in.... must not mind too much if they are leaving the gates open and not checking badges.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Your morals are exemplary, I'd have blagged it for the ride. But then i used to be an estate agent (real estate agent)

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
You shold have lied through your teath!!:D
I would have even talked about the interior of the dealership I "represented"!!

By all means have morals, but not when it's morally unjust to yourself! :D

...presence was a liability issue.
Ahh. Good old USA. Litigation rules!

The press make a living of doing such things. ;)
Nice try though!

Just a thought. What does the "S" sound like when running? ;)

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I little white lie doesnt hurt now & again :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Honesty is always the best policy:) But if they wouldn't let you ride your insurance would have covered you if you drove:D Thanks for the pics:p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts