MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MINI VANILLI
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it me or does there seem to be few to no problems reported with the mini engine. alot of minis are starting to get really up there in miles and engine reliability seems very high. i even did a search and found almost nothing. and it also seems the very few that do have minor problems with the engine are all cooper S minis. i just wanted to see if any of you agree that the tritec engine seems very strong and reliable despite all the bad things people say about it. and it might give us all 150,000 - 200,000 miles of reliability.

·
Go West young MINI!
111 Posts
survey

I'm expecting a Cooper S in December. I'd be interested to hear what mileage people have reached, to date, and what major problems they've had with their cars.

·
Overboosting.....
3,392 Posts
landparkmini said:
I'm expecting a Cooper S in December. I'd be interested to hear what mileage people have reached, to date, and what major problems they've had with their cars.
I did read on here about a guy having done over 100,000 miles in his Cooper S. That sounds like good reliability to me!

·
Registered
429 Posts
I think dpilgrim has 120k on his '02. That's with a 15% reduction pulley for >60k miles and auto-x. I think the engine is very well made and pretty much bomb proof. We'll have to see what years do as miles don't seem to phase it. As long as the head gasket doesn't start leaking like a lot of other Chysler engines...

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Iron block, chain-driven 16 valve SOHC, no variable valve or lift, no EGR valve, FBW throttle. Not a whole lot to go wrong, unlike the rest of the car :p

Harry

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
The only problems I have ever heard of is the stumble/yoyo with the S, which seems to an ECU problem and the very rare flooded engine.

I have got over the flooding issue by fitting a K&N filter which doesnt use the standard MINI air intake from the grille.

No problems so far - the whole car has been 100% reliable!

Paul

·
Now with S power!
23,915 Posts
From what I have heard the engine itself is reliable but its the supercharger that will go first (i heard about 80k) and clutches/gearboxes and the like

·
Registered
947 Posts
I was reading at the latest Consumer Reports issue over the weekend and the MINI gets a solid Red Dot for engine reliability in all model years ('02-'04)

In fact, the most reliable MINIs are the ones built for the 2004 model year, yet CR still does not recommend it???? What's up with that??

Here in Florida we are proud to have the highest mileage MCS in the world. Doug's car currently has 110K miles and not a single problem. He motors at a rate of 4K miles per month.

110K miles in a little less than 27 months of ownership is some SERIOUS motoring!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts