MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, I'm not an idiot. I know it runs on diesel. But the Cooper D I'm picking up on Monday will be the first diesel in my 13 year car-owning history and I'm terrified of putting petrol in it.:aargh:

I've read that lots of new cars have a mechanism that prevents you putting petrol in your diesel car. Does the Mini have such a device?

·
R.I.P MINI2
17,651 Posts
No, the MINI doesn't have anything to stop you putting petrol in.

As far as I know the only car manufacturer that currently does have something (as a factory-fitted item, anyway) is Ford.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I no you can buy a device that does this i think BMW can supply it i definetly no Barons Mini can try giving them a call on 01252520500 and explain to them.
Hope this helps.
Mark

·
Havin' fun...
4,931 Posts
Well, 13 years after moving to diesel, I am still terrified of accidentally filling with petrol!!!

Buy a label printer from your local branch of Staples and type 'DIESEL' on some bright yellow tape, and stick inside the filler cap.

It will cost less than £20, but may save thousands - and loads of grief too.

And finally, NEVER fill up in a hurry.

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
No, I'm not an idiot. I know it runs on diesel. But the Cooper D I'm picking up on Monday will be the first diesel in my 13 year car-owning history and I'm terrified of putting petrol in it.:aargh:

I've read that lots of new cars have a mechanism that prevents you putting petrol in your diesel car. Does the Mini have such a device?
there is a device that you can retro fit

·
A mini is a way of life.
2,643 Posts
what puzzles me,is that the inside of the derv cap is green. :eek::confused::confused::confused::confused: This indicates to most people that unleaded petrol should be used:rolleyes:. Why havent MINI changed the colour to black ????;)

·
Totalled
7,388 Posts
Well, 13 years after moving to diesel, I am still terrified of accidentally filling with petrol!!!

Buy a label printer from your local branch of Staples and type 'DIESEL' on some bright yellow tape, and stick inside the filler cap.

It will cost less than £20, but may save thousands - and loads of grief too.

And finally, NEVER fill up in a hurry.
My cap already has a Diesel label on it. I do always double check though before pulling the trigger :eek:

·
Wanted an Audi
2,105 Posts
I drove from Blackpool to Stoke with Petrol in my 1.4HDI (206). I put about £35 worth of petrol in too. I made is and only noticed it lurching a bit the last mile or so.

It wasnt till I parked up it hit home what Id dome :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
what puzzles me,is that the inside of the derv cap is green. :eek::confused::confused::confused::confused: This indicates to most people that unleaded petrol should be used:rolleyes:. Why havent MINI changed the colour to black ????;)
So THAT's why I have that niggling feeling I'm about to get it wrong! I knew something didn't feel right.

My wife NEVER puts her own fuel in so for several months I was putting diesel in mine and petrol in hers.To make matters worse, prior to buying the mini our cars were both the same colour, and model though 10 years age difference, Anyway, I bought her a D Clubman for Christmas ( well she needed a new car as the old one was dying ) and I'm so relieved I'm back to the same fuel in both!

For a while I was dogsbody for a company with a large fleet of vans. It's amazing how embarrased blokes got when they put petrol in and had to ask lowly me for a lift :smile: I came in useful sometimes and never told their mates

·
Registered
5 Posts
You are also supposed to avoid Biodiesel and Rapeseed Oil too according to the handbook.

I wonder how much of this stuff is making its way into the Diesel we buy day to day??

·
Registered
55 Posts
i once put diesel in my moped when i was 16 lol,

it won't happen to you, because you're scared to death of it happening so you'll always check!

·
Registered
32 Posts
My dad put petrol in his 7 series diesel... thank god he realised before he tried to start it!!

I bought him a little device that you put in the inside of the flap. Everytime you open it you get a voice that says: "Warning! This vehicle runs on Diesel fuel.. fill with Diesel fuel only!!"

Haha it's well embarrassing but does the job!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts