MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered my MCS, yesterday! Yippee!

I missed the last December slot by about 3 hours! Can you believe that? Someone else had been in and ordered just before me :mad:

Anyway, it now looks like mid-January will be the earliest I can get my car. So, here's the question...

Should I take one of the last registrations for '04 or wait an extra 6 weeks for the new '05 registration plate? Will this affect re-sale value by much?

Comments/opinions/advice appreciated.

If anyone wants to comment on my spec, feel free:-

MCS
Hyper-blue - White roof, mirrors, wheels and stripes
Chilli pack:
17" S-Spoke Wheels
Auto air-con
Blue black full leather (carpet blue)
Dynamic Stability Control
3-spoke steering wheel
Multifunction on steering wheel
Heated mirrors/washers
Interior trim body colour
Chrome-line interior
Visibility pack
Elec sunroof (may affect my final choice of roof colour)
Sat Nav
Harman Kardon HiFi
Driving lamps

I might switch to black roof/stripes etc. I just did a photoshop on roof/mirros in black - looks good. I just can't decide!! If anyone knows of any sample pics of black versus white roof/stripes, I'd be glad to see 'em.

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I'm not sure I understand your question. How are you getting an '04? Is it already on the lot or in transit to the dealer? I thought the last of the '04s have already been made, and those coming off the line now are '05s ... ?

If you can custom-spec the '04, and pay less money, and get it sooner, then that could be worth it -- assuming you aren't heart-set on some of the face-lift features. But if you can't spec the '04, then I'd go ahead and wait to get EXACTLY what you want, esp. if the extra wait is ony 6 weeks (or less, if you can find a faster dealer). Down the road, that wait will be long forgotten, but if you don't get exactly what you want, you will remember that every day.

Good luck, and congrats on getting a MINI! I waited 4 months, and don't regret waiting to get what I wanted.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LMB said:
My dealer can get you one for October.

How so? Thought everyone was quoting minimum 6 months. Also, I want to be near to the dealer I bought from - I find this works better if/when things go wrong. Where's your dealer?

One problem, I won't have sold my house by then, so October may be a bit early for the money to be ready. Still, I curious to know how you can get an MCS so 'quick'

·
ex GP 0100
212 Posts
Why the desire to be near? I'm close to Reading and getting my next car from Cardiff due to a great build slot. If it's warranty work, you'll be dealing with Service rather than the sales guys so can't you just use your local guys for that piece?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AmRov said:
I'm not sure I understand your question. How are you getting an '04? Is it already on the lot or in transit to the dealer? I thought the last of the '04s have already been made, and those coming off the line now are '05s ... ?

If you can custom-spec the '04, and pay less money, and get it sooner, then that could be worth it -- assuming you aren't heart-set on some of the face-lift features. But if you can't spec the '04, then I'd go ahead and wait to get EXACTLY what you want, esp. if the extra wait is ony 6 weeks (or less, if you can find a faster dealer). Down the road, that wait will be long forgotten, but if you don't get exactly what you want, you will remember that every day.

Good luck, and congrats on getting a MINI! I waited 4 months, and don't regret waiting to get what I wanted.
This may be a misunderstanding.

I'm definitely getting the 05 facelift version and *exactly* what I want. However, in the UK new registration/licence plates are issued twice yearly - 1st September and 1st March.

The plate reflects, to within 6 months, when the car was first registered. Because UK people can get funny about what licence plate they have, this can affect re-sale value.

6 weeks after mid-Jan, on the 1st March 2005, I can get a plate that indicates the car was actually registered 1st March 2005.

BUT, if I get the car before then, the plate allocated to the car will indicate it was registered anytime after 1st Setempber 2004, making the car potentially seem upto 6 months older than it really is.

I'm not very good at explanations, but the following link might make more sense (if I haven't already bored you to death) : http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/regmarks/reg_marks_current_system.htm

·
Riding on JCW power!
367 Posts
AJN said:
Just ordered my MCS, yesterday! Yippee!

I missed the last December slot by about 3 hours! Can you believe that? Someone else had been in and ordered just before me :mad:

Anyway, it now looks like mid-January will be the earliest I can get my car. So, here's the question...

Should I take one of the last registrations for '04 or wait an extra 6 weeks for the new '05 registration plate? Will this affect re-sale value by much?

Comments/opinions/advice appreciated.

If anyone wants to comment on my spec, feel free:-

MCS
Hyper-blue - White roof, mirrors, wheels and stripes
Chilli pack:
17" S-Spoke Wheels
Auto air-con
Blue black full leather (carpet blue)
Dynamic Stability Control
3-spoke steering wheel
Multifunction on steering wheel
Heated mirrors/washers
Interior trim body colour
Chrome-line interior
Visibility pack
Elec sunroof (may affect my final choice of roof colour)
Sat Nav
Harman Kardon HiFi
Driving lamps

I might switch to black roof/stripes etc. I just did a photoshop on roof/mirros in black - looks good. I just can't decide!! If anyone knows of any sample pics of black versus white roof/stripes, I'd be glad to see 'em.

Cheers

Andy

thats one serious spec brother!!!

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
AJN said:
How so? Thought everyone was quoting minimum 6 months. Also, I want to be near to the dealer I bought from - I find this works better if/when things go wrong. Where's your dealer?

One problem, I won't have sold my house by then, so October may be a bit early for the money to be ready. Still, I curious to know how you can get an MCS so 'quick'
I live in the North East- shorter waiting times I guess. Scotland is even shorter.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
OH, sorry... UK thing. I thought you meant an actual '04 model. I'm not really up to speed on the UK plate reg. thing...

Here, we get registration stickers that go on the inside of our windshield, issued with a "month/year" indication...

Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
336 Posts
If it helps, Amrov, I'm in the UK and read that exactly the same way you did.

My advice would be to shop around. Dealers get a certain number of slots, some may one free.

My dealer had a spare slot held aside that I managed to haggle for by talking to the manager (by chance - I'm not a pushy person!).

·
The Hartge Experience
1,032 Posts
i got to wait 8 months for mine, is lame. I will therefore get a 05 plate neways, cos its 11th march delivery! and she sed, if it came early, i could keep it there, until 05's are out and then collect hence get the 05 plate! I reckon hold out! more so for peace of mind!

·
Registered
336 Posts
March!!!!!

If you're prepared to phone around you could get October / November. Probably.

Still, I've been waiting since April for my Sept delivery, but to be fair I chose to defer when I heard about the facelift, then randomly upgraded to an 'S'.

·
The Hartge Experience
1,032 Posts
Yeah, trouble is i hav put a deposit down - gives me time 2 save neway! woulda fort all dealers would hv bin the same!!!!!! grrr

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
RobHardyUK
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing